Why become a member? ×

NAD - Orange Little Bass Thing

Guest BassAdder27

New amp today - LBT from Orange 

First impressions are simple to use looks nice too and lightweight 

No input gain just plug in and go although it has a -6db pad switch for active or very hot basses. 

The EQ section is simplicity itself with the only slightly confusing part being  the mid frequency adjustment. You have one control to zone in on a particular mids freq. and the other mid control to either boost or cut it. Treble is voiced well and no silly high frequency that you will never need.

All controls are stepped and this is nice to stay in place when moving head etc, I like that feature.

Next the main output volume and this head is very loud … massively louder than the PF500 and getting close to my Ashdown RM800, I’m pleased with that.

Compressor ( foot switchable ) is more like a boost compressor and the more you turn it up the more aggressive the sound gets, not drive but just more aggression and compression. This mimics a valve amp very well.

Tone … this is a rock amp through and through ideal for all rock and punk but can do other less aggressive tones too as it can play very cleanly. 

This amp is easy to get a good sound from, it’s a lot easier than say the Ampeg PF500 

My chosen bass to test it was my Fender Player Series PBass and it’s a perfect match.

I played it with a pick for my kind of rock ( nothing too heavy ) and it brings out the tone of the bass nicely. 
Played finger style with a little adjustment to the mids and it was warm and punchy.

The fan is very quiet ( whisper quiet )

No mute button ( I don’t need one ) and Di is post EQ and volume .. I don’t see that being an issue.

And as mentioned this 500w head is very loud and I played it into my Ashdown ABM210H EVO IV Pro Neo cab 

I can recommend this head totally and think in time will become a best seller for Orange. 

Better than Ampeg PF500 / PF800 yes I think it’s much better in my opinion. Better than Ashdown RM800 nope as good as only simpler which in itself is a bonus. 

59AB4257-210C-4801-A952-7C04D5B9F26F.thumb.jpeg.33b13e3aff64cedc68ab75808aaefe9d.jpeg

Edited by BassAdder27
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

How does it compare in the “heft” stakes? 

Reasonable heft when played with 6 piece Dead covers last Saturday, I'll use it with a  blues/rock 3 piece on Saturday which will reveal any shortage of heft!

• Like 1

After many hours of playing this bass amp it is truly one of the best finds for my needs.

It has such a great tone and although as I’ve said it leans slightly to the rock genre it isn’t like the Terror Bass so it’s a pretty clean tone and very very loud.

Eq that works very well and not difficult getting a great sound.

Ive overlooked Orange amps for Bass although I’ve seen many bands use Orange but never considered trying them over say Ashdown and Ampeg etc

If you are looking for a simple but very effective and loud 500w head I can recommend this amp.

There are not many reviews for this head as it’s only been out a couple of years but this is a keeper for sure 

Edited by BassAdder27
  • Like 1

Spent a session playing the LBT sans pick and using fingers … 

Adding a smidgen extra mids and treble and backing off on the bass by one notch and this worked well

Lovely warm sound and clean and full sounding. There is something special about this little 500w head, can’t quite put my finger on it but maybe it’s that Orange amp tone but clean and pleasant 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello guys! I have a question. I am considering this amp or the Terror Bass. I'm not sure about this one since it doesn't have input gain and I have basses with a lot of output and some with very low output. How do you guys see the amp with different basses? (I don't switch basses during a show, but I'm concerned that my jazz bass doesn't have enough output or that my other bass could clip the amp).

• Like 2

I think you will be ok,if you have a “hot output bass” just flick the pad switch on. 

Works well this amp and although mine is a backup amp to my ABM600 I think the LBT is a really nice amp

The compressor on it seems to add a bit of grit to the tone if you run it past noon etc 

Simple but useable EQ 

Very loud too 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/11/2021 at 13:25, javi_bassist said:

Hello guys! I have a question. I am considering this amp or the Terror Bass. I'm not sure about this one since it doesn't have input gain and I have basses with a lot of output and some with very low output. How do you guys see the amp with different basses? (I don't switch basses during a show, but I'm concerned that my jazz bass doesn't have enough output or that my other bass could clip the amp).

I am also considering the terror bass and the little bass thing. Did you pick one over the other in the end? Keen to know pros and cons of using each…

• Like 1

I've been using a LBT as my main amp for several years, with a Barefaced Super Compact. Sounds good, easily loud enough for pub gigs, anything bigger and I would have been D.I.'d and/or mic'd up through the PA.

May well be for sale in the new year as osteoarthritis and other problems have prevented me playing more than 2 gigs this year.

• Like 2