Why become a member? ×

Stupid question time.

beerdragon

In all the time i've been playing i have had to mess about or swap a neck on a bass. the time as come. i suppose this is a fairly obvious question but one i have to ask. when putting the neck back on and tightening the plate screws and fitting the strings tuning up etc, do you then have to give the screw another tighten?. i'm a bit wary of over doing it. ta.

I'd just tighten until you feel you've put enough force in it by hand, wouldn't have thought you could overtighten it unless you use a hammer to turn the screw driver :)

no harm in giving it another little tighten once the neck is on!

Edited by josh3184

It's always best to put all 4 screws in and tighten them by hand first. Then go round the screws and tighten each one a little, equally. Keep going round them all until they're all tight.

Do NOT put one screw in and tighten it fully, then put the next screw in and tighten it fully etc.

There's no harm in going back and tightening them a little later if they need it. Don't use excessive force and make sure your screwdriver is a good fit.

If the sound you want from your bass could do with a better mechanical join between the neck and the body, try doing up the screws so that the neck can't move but the screws aren't fully tight. Then put the strings on and tune to pitch. Now tighten fully tighten the screws in the neck joint. This is a trick that is used on bolt-on neck guitars to get more sustain, but of course more sustain isn't always appropriate for the bass.