Why become a member? ×

NBD - Squier Mini

paul_c2

New Bass Day - kind of - its actually a present for the OH. She plays the cello to ~grade 7, so its only natural that she ought to learn the bass too! Copious mentions of Tina Weymouth and her music, and a couple of informal lessons, has revealed a bunch of enthusiasm but that she really doesn't like the weight and bulkiness of my (long scale, obvs) Fender Jazz. And.....I own 3x Fender Jazzes so even the one I can lend her is the same.

So.....after a bit of searching round and some disappointments in various music shops, we came across this:

20210620_122552.thumb.jpg.beb0cac6e172142dad71faa2c19c1ab0.jpg

Its a Squier Mini. Scale length is 28.5" compared to 34" for the long scale (and I think short scale is about 30" normally?). It plays really well! I tried it in the music shop and was impressed immediately - it really doesn't feel "cheap" at all, it just feels very natural and easier to play. I think the string tension is a little lower too, which probably helps. The sound is quite cutting and it can do a good "twang" sound but it still has a decent bass thump. I think it will calm down once the strings aren't brand new.

Oh, and its my first Precision.

• Like 3