Why become a member? ×

Commissioning an instrument

zbd1960

Thank you for the various comments and feedback. My current instruments are a Fender 4 string J and a Sire Marcus Miller V7 5 string J.

After a lot of internet digging, reading this site, YT videos etc. I had a lengthy e-mail discussion with Alan at ACG and this weekend I took a trip up to Scotland to visit him.

I am pleased to say that a 4 string has been commissioned and I spent a challenging, but enjoyable, hour or two working out my choice of woods...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

Thank you for the various comments and feedback. My current instruments are a Fender 4 string J and a Sire Marcus Miller V7 5 string J.

After a lot of internet digging, reading this site, YT videos etc. I had a lengthy e-mail discussion with Alan at ACG and this weekend I took a trip up to Scotland to visit him.

I am pleased to say that a 4 string has been commissioned and I spent a challenging, but enjoyable, hour or two working out my choice of woods...

Awesome, what model/specs did you go for? I’m sure we’d all love to see it when it’s finished too 😎

41 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Awesome, what model/specs did you go for? I’m sure we’d all love to see it when it’s finished too 😎

I'll set-up a thread to record progress and more details... 🙂

I opted for a 32" 4 string Krell (I am going to love being able to say "The awesome power of the Krell...." 👽) Spanish Cedar body with Purple Heart accent and Tasmanian Blackwood top. Five piece Ash and Purple Heart neck, with PH finger board.

Pic is the wood selection 

C8572C1A-688C-4AA4-B60E-928B18F48104.jpeg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Nice....

You won't be disappointed with Alan's work...

Timescale would be my only frustration...

Having to wait for a bass to be built is always a tough time! But comparably Alan's wait times are a fraction of the vast majority of other builders. 

@zbd1960 - You won't be disappointed by your choice, Alan's build quality is just exceptional, can't wait to see the build take shape!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zbd1960 said:

I'll set-up a thread to record progress and more details... 🙂

I opted for a 32" 4 string Krell (I am going to love being able to say "The awesome power of the Krell...." 👽) Spanish Cedar body with Purple Heart accent and Tasmanian Blackwood top. Five piece Ash and Purple Heart neck, with PH finger board.

Pic is the wood selection 

C8572C1A-688C-4AA4-B60E-928B18F48104.jpeg

That is going to be awesome, I love Purpleheart fretboards. Look forward to seeing it in all its glory!

What are Alan’s current waiting times out of interest?

10 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

That is going to be awesome, I love Purpleheart fretboards. Look forward to seeing it in all its glory!

What are Alan’s current waiting times out of interest?

It depends where you land in the production cycle, but he was saying roughly 10 - 12 months. Most viol/cello luthiers I've talked to in the past have said 3 years...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/05/2021 at 16:17, zbd1960 said:

It depends where you land in the production cycle, but he was saying roughly 10 - 12 months. Most viol/cello luthiers I've talked to in the past have said 3 years...

Congratulations. I was about to chip in with some advice but it’s moot now! 

I waited 14 months for my Sei - I picked her up in January 2012 and ever since the wait has been a dim and distant memory. 

Edited by Nickthebass
  • Like 1