Why become a member? ×

Compressor advice

neilb

Im still battling to find a compressor that is not too transparent, but really snaps the signal when kicked in.

Ive tried some but they are too subtle eg Optostomp etc.

I play mainly rock but on songs like Ashes to Ashes (Bowie) I do a little pulling and want the sound to be quite compressed.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

Neil :)

[quote name='josh3184' post='446377' date='Mar 26 2009, 07:49 PM']might help :)

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml[/url][/quote]

Thats a really good resource to check out.

When you've checked it out, get the EBS one. It really is the business. :rolleyes:

Trace Elliot's dual band one is highly regarded among bassists, It sounds very good, and can have quite an effect on the signal, but can still do subtle and transparent, it compresses the low and high frequencies seperatley which is very useful

I just happen to be selling one (shameless, I know) in the For Sale: Effects forum if you're interested, I could even record some sound clips if you're interested

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='446392' date='Mar 26 2009, 07:56 PM']Trace Elliot's dual band one is highly regarded among bassists, It sounds very good, and can have quite an effect on the signal, but can still do subtle and transparent, it compresses the low and high frequencies seperatley which is very useful

I just happen to be selling one (shameless, I know) in the For Sale: Effects forum if you're interested, I could even record some sound clips if you're interested[/quote]

True. I always liked the original trace compressor - it worked well.... unlike the thing they (well, Peavey) have chosen to go with on the new 7 band models.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='446701' date='Mar 26 2009, 11:17 PM']I bought an EBS MultiComp, and for the exta money, they are well worth the investment. Fantastic piece of kit, and next to my tuner and DI, it is the one pedal I could not possibly gig without.[/quote]

i've got to add a plus the one to this.

i've tried many pedal compressors and the ebs is the best - hands down.

If you can go rack then the focusrite compounder is the daddy, and particularly handy for your needs since you can set up nice overall compression and a seperate (useful) limiter to squash those heavy duty snaps really well. Works brilliantly for me!

[quote name='51m0n' post='453398' date='Apr 3 2009, 02:43 PM']If you can go rack then the focusrite compounder is the daddy, and particularly handy for your needs since you can set up nice overall compression and a seperate (useful) limiter to squash those heavy duty snaps really well. Works brilliantly for me![/quote]

Do you run the signal thru Ch1 as a compressor, then link to CH2 as a limiter then out to the amp?

[quote name='neilb' post='453528' date='Apr 3 2009, 05:11 PM']Do you run the signal thru Ch1 as a compressor, then link to CH2 as a limiter then out to the amp?[/quote]

No need each channel has a very useable limiter built in.

You could go the whole hog and run ch1 -> ch2 with ch2 set up with infinity+ ratio 0 attack short release and pull the threshold down till it caught what you needed to. But being a compressor by design its shortest attack will almost certainly be slower than the limiter. The limiter if set up sensibly is extremely transparent, but you dont have to be sensible if you like it squashier than a shy thing.

Its that good.

Not even mentioning the bass boost on it (which is brilliant) - oops :)

I use the Diamond Compressor and prefer it over my old EBS Multicomp. It's not been reviewed yet on Bongo's ovnilab site but it's raved about over at thegearpage and other sites. They are coming out with a bass version soon that doesn't roll off below 60Hz, has a differently voiced tone control and comes with an 18v supply for better headroom.

I found the EBS to clip when really digging in with a hot bass, but this can be remedied by turning the internal trimpots anti-clockwise. The Demeter Compulator also suffers from clipping with a hot input so I've heard. However the Diamond can be run at 9-24v, and the higher voltages give you more headroom, ideal for slapping and popping or running after wild envelope filters. The Maxon CP9-Pro+ also internally doubles from 9v to 18v and is also one of the best comps out there.

The EBS is a great pedal though, and the tubesim mode sounds really good. I could never get on with multiband mode though, perhaps I need to tweak the trimpots a little more to adjust the hi/lo bands better!