Vintage V940 4 string fretless
£210
Axminster

Posted (edited)

Lovely, lovely little fretless here, made by Vintage, however I cant find any model number info anywhere on the bass, if you know let me know ;) (mystery solved - its a V940)

Active circuitry, fitted with some unknown black flatwounds, it plays incredibly well. Knobs are master vol, pick up select, and bass and treble active pots, giving this a fairly broad tonal palette.

Condition wise, very very good, I cant find any dings on it. The main body wood is some sort of bubinga/wenge type, with an open grain, but not as deep as wenge so I don't think its that. Weight is 4.2kg according to my bathroom scales.

In summary, a really nice bass. Only reason this is being let go is I have too many fretlii as it is. Collection much preferred, although I do get around the country a bit with my various works, so could possibly bring somewhere near to you.

181099468_vintage1.thumb.jpg.8a4d4cdc4edf182f4831bea69f9cf077.jpg

2115298369_vintage2.thumb.jpg.6b26af66b3f498013324c73d3d9daea9.jpg

486231123_vintage3.thumb.jpg.f1a5137e7c8e7548988fc4096cb7a014.jpg

493528369_vintage4.thumb.jpg.d4b374dd1a5f9cbe31294f3222e29e4f.jpg

Edited by sprocketflup
pics
  • Like 1

Vintage is a brand I see for sale quite a lot but know nothing about. They seem to use exotic materials (as with this) which I would associate with "quality" but they sell for not much. I like the look of them - a nod towards the Nanyos I so love.

This looks like a good bass - unfortunately I'm trying to persevere with 5ers and I've been burnt by fretless basses in the bass - I need to leave them alone.

I'm sure that this will sell without any problem - GLWTS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2021 at 09:28, sprocketflup said:

Hi, the pick up blend is a centre detented knob, both pups on full in the centre, then dialling out one or the other as you turn. 

Thanks.  Let me have a think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SurroundedByManatees
      Beautiful Overwater fretless bass, custom made for the original owner around 2005.
      The bass has a stunning quilted maple top and a nice green/blue burst finish. The fretboard is made of ebony.  It's an active bass.
      Pics:

There are several cosmetic damages to be found around the bass; dents, scratches, missing paint chips; battle scars. The fretboard shows signs of use but is definitely in very good condition. All hardware and electronics function like they should. The bass plays very well and has plenty of the mwah you want from a decent fretless. 
      An original, high quality Overwater gigbag/softcase is included.
      €1.150
      Trades are welcome. Fretted basses only please :).
      I am located in the Netherlands, but happy to ship at buyers risk (insured, well packed)
    • By binkybongo
      DOB 7 March 1969
      A gorgeous 52 year old unique Jazz at a sensible price.
      Sounds just as you would imagine - an authoritative true vintage tone with a wide sound palette.
      Possible trades plus cash for 4 string- MM, Fender, Overwater
      This is a true beauty I’ve decided should be with someone else who will treasure it and play it more than myself.
      I had one of these the first time around - then Ricks, Celinder and CS basses but always hankered back to a real 60s Jazz - then this very special laid-back looking instrument came up weighing in at a very comfortable 9lb.
      Originally sunburst - pictured below is the original owner (I'm the second) who bought the bass new. It has all original pick ups and electronics.
      Alder body, handsome ebony fingerboard and as you can see is set off by the lovely mother of pearl dots and beautiful maple binding all by master luthier Jimmy Moon.
      The neck is in lovely condition, easy action 'A' profile slim neck has a subtle flaming and like the rest of the bass has acquired the sweetest sound, character and the authentic patina and feel only 52 years can give. It's slimmer than '64 CSs I've owned - actually very similar to that of the Celinder P I bought from Three of this parish some years ago.
      Based near Manchester, could meet within reason, comes with substantial Fender case.
      PS - I am a professional photographer - the buyer will receive a Marcus Miller poster with my compliments. https://www.william-ellis.com/

VID_20201218_095246.mp4
    • By nationofzeros
      For sale : my 1982 Aria Pro-II SB-1000 'Super Bass'  - fretless
      In the late 70s / early 80s, the Japanese Matsumoku factory had progressed from picture-perfect copies to their own immaculately engineered and very creative original designs, and king of the basses was the Aria SB 'Super Bass' range, headlined by the top of the pile SB-1000.
      Matsumoku / Aria had clearly been contemplating the pathway laid down by Alembic, and countered with their own 'boutique' offering, the SB-1000. With a double octave 34" scale 5-ply maple / walnut neck, all-brass hardware and a Canadian Ash body, the SB-1000 certainly looked the part, but backed this up with its double coil MB-1 pickup feeding the proprietary 18V 'BB' active, noise - defeating circuitry, including a 6 - way filter enabling a surprisingly wide range of 80s tones, from deep reggae through to burbling & popping mids and snappy tops. All to the liking of John Taylor, Jack Bruce and Cliff Burton, to name 3 celebrity users.
      To this confection, this vanishingly rare fretless version adds a warm, menacing growl.
      This bass, which is a second generation 'bookend headstock' model,  is in extremely good, all-original condition. The electronics all work, the 6-way filter provides the requisite 6 different tones,  and the natty front face LED featured in these bookend versions blinks away in classic 80s sci-fi style once the bass is plugged in.
      With its railroad - straight, C-section neck, it is simple to set a very low, super-speedy action & wallow in all the 'mwaah' that results. There are a few minor dings around the body sides and a couple of contusions in the lacquer on the neck (see photos),  but these barely dint the majestically thick and luscious clearcoat that Aria saw fit to lavish on these 1000 series models.
      In the day, the SB-1000s were renowned for the dense and vibrant wood grain finishes that Aria coaxed from its timber, all different. I'm biased, but if you find a more attractive one than this, please let me know !
      Non OEM quality hardcase included (see pix) - price is exclusive of shipping costs.
      Happy to answer any questions, not happy to sell this beauty, but I need the space...

• By Bassaio
      Limites time £1100
      weight 3.53kg - Gorgeous Bass made in Switzerland, by great luthier Tino Tedesco ():
      Body Ash with tonal Chambers
      Top Alder
      Neck quartesawn maple
      Fingerboard  birdseye maple
      Hipshot Tuners - Dunlop Straplocks - Pickup X-EMG Active
      ultralightweight

• By Mikey D
      Original Ibanez GWB1-TKF 5 String Fretless for sale.
      This was the 2nd Japanese run of Gary's GWB1 but in the slightly rarer Transparent Black Flat finish.  It isn't a defretted GWB2.
      This is a FugjiGen Gakki Japanese built instrument from 2003.
      Although the body both front and back are well played the neck is in excellent condition.

Body type: Solid Swamp Ash (Light Ash) body
      Bridge: STD-5 fixed (16.5mm string spacing)
      Pickguard: Removable wood finger ramp/rest
      Knob style: Knurled metal dome w/ pointer
      Hardware color: Black
      Neck type: GWB Prestige
      Neck material: 3-piece maple
      Scale length: 864mm / 34"
      Fingerboard material: Ebony
      Fingerboard inlays: Small white dot
      Nut: Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL (45mm)
      Machine heads: Gotoh GB70 w/ GWB Sure Grip buttons
      Pickup: Bartolini GWB (S) passive
      Electronics: Bartolini NTBT 2-band EQ w/EQ bypass switch (9V)
      Controls: Single volume w/ push-pull EQ bypass / stacked bass boost-cut & treble boost-cutB
      Comes with original Ibanez hardshell case.
      https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pcw.nsf/item.xsp?documentId=06A954A715D7B1EE49258059000947AA&strItemKey=GWB1_TKF_00_02&curSuffix=0002&curFromYMTX=2003%2F01&curToYMTX=2004%2F10&strMode=newpage