Why become a member? ×

Zappa!

stewblack

16 hours ago, walshy said:

I absolutely love Zappa. Watching Scott Thunes having the absolute time of his life on stage ( I think wearing a dress at one point ) was proper eye opening that being a bass player wasn't boring. Used to cover some songs when I was younger ( Keep it Greasy, Zomby Woof, Zoot Allures, Cosmic Debris etc...) and I loved it. Some stuff it tougher to listen to but them man was a genius

I had a live video from 1984 called “Does Humour Belong in Music?” and Scott Thunes is playing bass on that, looking delighted to be there! 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2021 at 12:20, leftybassman392 said:

As I've said in another thread, I have no truck with 'Best-in-the-world...' lists. That said, I've always found it curious that Zappa so rarely appears on them. Technically as good as pretty much anyone around at the time and creatively brilliant to boot; what's not to like?

Funnily enough, whilst Prince has topped one of those recent GOAT lists the player I hear most in his guitar playing is Frank Zappa... 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 27/04/2021 at 16:50, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Long time Zappa fan here too. My introduction was Live In New York, which is still a favourite. He’s one of the very few artists that I’ll blind buy anything that comes out. Received an e-mail from the ZFT the other day announcing the latest release. Didn’t even bother reading the blurb - went straight to pre-order. I also have a ton of bootlegs, which when you take a deep dive into, it’s just amazing the amount of variation in the sets. Not only that, but when you listen to the songs, they’re not always performed the same way night after night either.

E82FA06E-29EB-4670-8D11-89AD1E2E8C33.jpeg

So, here's a thing. The above CD arrived yesterday and jolly good it is too, however....

I thought the whole Ahmet/Dweezil thing had been resolved and maybe it has, I don't know, but this CD makes me think maybe not.

There are two song substitutions on this 'whole gig' double CD of the performance at Nassau Coliseum on 25/3/88. One of them is 'Stairway to Heaven' (replaced by the Towson performance on 23/3/88) and the other is 'Whipping Post' (replaced by the Providence performance on 16/3/88). Both of the Nassau versions of these songs featured performances by Dweezil. Coincidence? Towson and Providence do not.

I'm fairly sure I have nearly all of the USA '88 gigs on a drive somewhere, so I'm going to have to dig them out, but I don't recall any sub standard performances by Dweezil. It just seems very odd that the only two subs were songs that Dweezil was on.

If it is the case that Dweezil has blocked ZFT's use of them, I really wish they would get their sh!t together. Frank would not be happy.

• Like 1