Why become a member? ×

Audio interface WITH external PSU?

Owen

I know that bus powering is big and clever but I need an interface with an external PSU. We are running a multi camera system in Church using an app called Switcher Studio. It is easy and intuitive. We can pan and zoom remotely with 4 cameras. The problem is that an HDMI out has to come before the USB out using Apple adapters. The power in on the adpaters is not satisfying the power needs of the Focusrite Scarlet I am using at the moment so I cannot get audio in there to sync. I need an interface which has an external PSU. I did use an old Lexicon but eventually it did what old things do and started making nasty "scratching" noises. All I have found so far is a Steinberg UR-RT2 which would do it but at £279 made me wince a bit. Can anyone point me in the direction of something cheaper?

TIA.

Basschat, how I love you!

Obviously I now have more questions!

Is a 5v supply a bog standard phone charger or something else? I am happy to use whatever but do not want to roll in to the service with the wrong piece of kit!

2 hours ago, owen said:

Basschat, how I love you!

Obviously I now have more questions!

Is a 5v supply a bog standard phone charger or something else? I am happy to use whatever but do not want to roll in to the service with the wrong piece of kit!

I'd try it with a phone charger first. If that works and there is no added noise/interference then you are good to go with minimal outlay.

i am not sure this will do for apple owen, but there is a guy on ebay selling off a few of the M-Audio R8, 8in and 8 out, with routing options, with an external power supply,  i got one to move my stereo mix from my d8b digi mixer to cubase via smpte to master and im very happy with it i am using it with windows 7 and cubase 5, and the driver works well in both, i offered the guy £50 for it so he will except £50, but check if you can get a driver for apple in case you are looking at it, but its a great little box i now use for all sorts of things.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174624315297?hash=item28a86b97a1:g:XBMAAOSwcW9fx2KM

image.png.7a2db9035d60d04154f21bdd239ebd91.png

Thanks all for the suggestions. It turns out that the Steinberg did NOT like being daisy chained behind an HDMI to lightning adapter and would not power up. It is going back. Eventually I got the Focusrite working by using a combined HDMI + USB lightning adapter. Needless to say, we will be moving to something more robust as soon as we can. The iPad can do some things very well indeed. However.................