Why become a member? ×

Super Strat Guitar Build

Lee-Man

So, back in lockdown 1.0 I brought a Sims Guitars body and neck. I thought it would be a fun project. But, it needed a little more fettling than my limited DIY skills would allow. As I need a guitar for work I've decided to give up and pass it on to a professional to finish. Bruce Hartley at @Bassworks is a great luthier and has agreed to put the final pieces together for me. 

Specs are: 

• Sims Guitars body & neck. The finish is beautiful. It looks black at a distance, but is actually a very dark, slightly translucent root beer with a fleck of purple). 
  • EMG 81 in the neck and bridge, prob going to just skip the middle pickup and go HH
  • Gotoh VS100 trem
  • Hipshot locking machine heads

Its going to be a great shred machine when its done. 

bHBSe7D.jpg

Edited by Lee-Man
  • Like 2

Bit of an update: 

Neck is on and cable routing holes drilled. Strap buttons drilled and on. 

g89iUHb.jpg

The machine head holes were different sizes on each side of the headstock. The original holes have been drilled out and reamed. 

ITInAot.jpg

tpmxq1X.jpg

Edited by Lee-Man
  • Like 1

Checked my email this morning and theres more progress and news on the parts build. 

The side mount jack hole has been cut and reamed: 

WG4clWO.jpg

ZnrDDcH.jpg

The inserts for the Gotoh trem don't match the ones in the body. Sims arn't too sure what trem they are from. With this in mind the inserts are going to be removed, plugged and replaced. This was meant to be a quick home parts build, but it's out of my wheelhouse. Pleased I called in a professional! 

1EDmgPW.jpg

wSheMXd.jpg

zny3SxC.jpg

• Like 1

Todays update: 

• Cavities shielded
  • Trem Fitted 
  • Pickups in 
  • Controls drilled. All holes are angled to come out of the carve top on the surface perpendicular. 
  • Inside the holes are counterbored to make sure the nuts sit flat on the pocket floor.

Up next is to tidy the EMG plug and play wiring. Sort frets and a set up and then it should be ready to rawk! 

PO8jx0o.jpg

rp5elxl.jpg

Gu0a2vl.jpg

gDjxSol.jpg

HgmhrM3.jpg

ALjIdCl.jpg

Thats my new Bassworks Fretless PPJ5 wearing a fresh undercoat :)

nyWRguu.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...