Why become a member? ×

Video audition required, help!

uk_lefty

So... A band wants me to do a video audition. Everything I have on video is not in their style, I need to show I can play metal. They don't want a pro recording per se but I cant do their suggestion of recording on my phone me jamming along to something, I've just been told off by the wife for the noise made! I can record bass direct to my laptop easily, but I need to merge that with video and a backing track. What's the easiest way? I've got a 4 channel mixer so I could get all audio recorded in to the PC I think, its just adding the video... 

This is simple;

set up your audio recording into the pc and press record and set your video camera recording

you need to syncronise the video with the separate audio later, so slap your hand on the strings of your bass several times - this will make a nice sharp transient (in film making this is what the clapper board is for)

now record yourself jamming along.

To make the final video you need to import the video from your camera and the audio you recorded separately into a video editing program.

You first align the audio recroding you made separately with the video (using the transients to facilitate lining everything up easily)

Next you mute the audio from the video track.

If you are happy everything syncs OK your next task is to trim the audio/video - depending on which video editing software you are using you might need to adjust your approach - if you can select just the part of the audio/video you want and export it without dropping sync, then that is job done, but I found that some less well featured programs(windows movie maker) required exporting everything to combine the audio with the video, and then a second edit to trim the ends

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In terms of simplest thing which will work, would the following do?  Plug the audio output of the computer (or whatever the backing track is on), the bass, and your headphones into the mixer, and get a mix.  Then plug the mixer output into the phone mic input.  Record the video on the phone.

I'm finding this a little confusing. To what ends do they require a 'video' audition?

The image/person/gear is one thing, but all you mentioned was that they want to ensure you can play 'metal'.

Accepting they are happy with the image/person/gear, surely recorded audio would suffice to answer that question? Or are they suggesting that you must simultaneously prove that it's you playing - which would be weird.

I appreciate it's not everyone's solution, by my response would be get yourselves on JamKazam or Jamulus and let's play some tunes.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I'm finding this a little confusing. To what ends do they require a 'video' audition?

The image/person/gear is one thing, but all you mentioned was that they want to ensure you can play 'metal'.

Your guess is as good as mine. I can point them to plenty of video of me playing rock and soul with a band and an audience, even more audio. 

• Like 1