Why become a member? ×

Maurszczyk Paddock 5a truss rod snapped!

radcliff43123

Fabulous work as always, Andy. 👏👏👏

I have owned 3 new Maruszczyks, only 2 of them came with a care guide and it was the first one that didn’t have the guide. I made my usual action adjustments, especially as the action was really low for me and was initially confused when adjusting the relief. Fortunately, I didn’t go mad and keep going the ‘wrong’ way. Whether I just went the other way or checked BC first I can’t remember. Either way it was sorted, but it’s annoying that I didn’t have a guide at the time to refer to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Is there any good technical reason for the truss rod to work in the opposite direction to most other guitars and basses?

IIRC Maruszczyk aren't the only manufacturer to do this.

I can't think of one in terms of functionality for the Maruszczyk single rod type.  The adjuster attached to the right hand thread end rather than the left hand thread end would have functionally an identical effect on the rod and relief . 

On a modern two-rod or rod-strip type, then yes - if there is an access issue to the adjuster, which is normally attached to the bottom rod and therefore sits at the bottom of the of the trussrod channel, then flipping it over brings the adjuster to the top of the trussrod channel and, for some designs, giving easier access for the allen key (but in the process reverses the direction it bends).   Same goes if the adjuster is deeper than the rod...sometimes that gets the trussrod channel too close to breaking through the back of the neck.  

For home builds, it can also happen by accident...crazily, many adverts show modern trussrods upside down!

This is a typical shot from a much-respected supplier (and it's not just the photographer - the accompanying technical drawing shows it upside down too!) :

ONxcM36l.jpg

Put it in this way up, it will be reversed.  In that no fitting instructions are supplied with the rods, it would be an easy mistake to make in a first build.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I picked up my repaired neck today and fitted it, restrung the bass and waiting for it to settle in before fine tuning the action.

Andy has done a nice job with the repair and I am grateful for his kind offer to carry out the work for  cost of parts as, without him the bass would likely have been out of action for the foreseeable future as there would be little chance of me being able to afford the extortionate cost of a luthier repair or manufacturer replacement. 

The world would be a far better place if there were more people like Andy living on it.

What a guy! He kept me fully informed right through the process and promptly returned the neck to me.

Many thanks to him and the bass chatters that recommended him.

So glad that I am a member of this forum as it has been a true lifeline to me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2