Why become a member? ×

Losing interest in playing music

megallica

I felt much the same around a year ago, the band I was in came to a head, and I haven't touched a bass since, nor had the urge to. I'm saving for an electric guitar instead as I'd flogged all my thin stringed things, and I'm going to get in another band as a guitarist. So, maybe you need another instrument to revive your interest in music?

After my band folded and with other commitments taking up a lot of time I really slowed down my playing. Now I am at uni and am back in a band I am appalled at how much I have regressed (not that I used to be great), it's very frustrating when you aren't able to play what you want.

I find the most reinvigorating thing is playing with new musicians. Today I had a jam with a saxophonist and drummer which left me really inspired.

[quote name='Wil' post='442294' date='Mar 23 2009, 11:24 AM']I felt much the same around a year ago, the band I was in came to a head, and I haven't touched a bass since, nor had the urge to.[/quote]

I had the same thing except I stopped playing for two years because I was so disgusted with the way the band ended. I only started playing again when I was at my old bass teacher's gig and he announced from the stage at the end of the first set that I'd be playing the rest of the gig - he did like throwing people in at the deep end!

Cant really add a great deal to whats already been said but do keep a bass lying around even if you do quit. I stopped all the band crap 20 years ago ( wife/child responsibilties etc.) and just kept the bass lying around. For years it was a case of picking it up a couple of times a week and just noodling for an hour or so. For some reason the bug bit again a while back and I'm glad I kept my hand in. Hell, I'm even considering moving out of the bedroom and maybe finding a guitarist (*spit*) to jam with. That and maybe a few lessons to boost me back up to speed.

This started happening to me recently when the band I'm writing with were all writing together whilst I only ever heard the results (I'm based about 50 miles away from most of them)

Problem was they are all way into the rockier side, whilst I mean to be funky always.

A lot of what they'd come up with was really turning me off.

Musical differences eh!

Well I took ownership of a couple of sets of lyrics and have been writing and recording around them pretty much on my own, then feeding back my ideas to them - has really changed up my enjoyment, and means we now have more than one string to our bow as it were (they cant help but play funkier with what I'm giving them - I hope!)

Just wish I could write decent lyrics (and sing, and play guitar; I can program drums and keys fine), I'd never be involved with a band again :)

I think we've all been through this at sometime or other. Back in the early 90s I gave up completely for ten years, sold everything and never thought I'd come back to it until a conversation with my old guitarist staretd me off again.

Like you I've been going though this period of apathy at the moment. I've not picked up an instrument since last November, just couldn't be bothered. Until someone posted up some Ray Brown vids in the double bass form on BC a day or two ago. Now I'm inspired again, and having fun with the DB.

So, just ride with it until something sparks your interest again (And it probably will).