Why become a member? ×

Driver Upgrade for Aguilar GS112

Marcus

Hi Guys,

I'm very happy with my current Rig......

Agular DB750 & GS112 & GS112NT

However.......

i'm thinking I could upgrade the Drivers in my cabs to a higher power handling / better quality 4ohm units and achieve full power from my DB750 which is happy to deliver nearly a 1000W at 2ohms

I've read enough on here to know it's not all about watts.

I know for more volume i'd be way better off adding more cabs..... infact I have a GS115 which I can pair with the 2x 112's for a monster rig. I guess my thinking is.... Get a GS410 to run with the GS115 for big gigs (If they happen again) and have the "supercharged" 112's for more compact gigs....

Am I being Daft ? Should I leave well alone ? The cabs appear to have a pretty low sensitivity..... As I have lots of power available from the BD750 I feel as though this might be good in the respect of the fact that I can turn up the wick and get the amp out of first gear... Am I thinking correctly here ? Or is the popular pairing of the DB750 with say a super efficient Bergantino cab more of the way forward ?

I'm sure Aguilar spent a lot of time working out the best driver for the GS/DB112 - but there must have been an "economy factor" engineered in to achieve such a competitive price point...... would a more expensive driver that was well matched to the type of cabinet / internal vol etc yield an improvement or are there just physical limits to how much power and clean vol you can achieve from a small enclosure like the GS112

Is there a High power 12' Driver out there that's suitable to the box - if so what is it ?

Lot's of questions I know..... but I know we have some great experts in this field on Basschat.......

[b] Aguilar GS 112 Spec[/b]

One 12" cast frame woofer, 56 oz. magnet

Power handling: 300 watts

Impedance: 8 ohms

Phenolic tweeter with integral phase plug

Custom crossover with variable tweeter control

One Neutrik Speakon and two 1/4" inputs

Frequency response: 42 Hz to 16 kHz

Sensitivity: 95 DB 1W 1M

Heavy-duty spring loaded handle

Interlocking corners

Dimensions: 14"H x 19"W x 18"D

7-ply, void free Philippine mahogany

Weight: 42 lbs.

Thanks Guys

ATB
Mark

Yep, 3 x GS112's'd be 2.7 Ohms, 900 watts and they'd be resaleable, stackable and still a 1 handed carry (each). Can you borrow one and give it a try? I'm a bit too far away methinks.

Oh and they'd definately 'work' too.

In fact I always think 2 x GS112's are more than the sum, wonder what 3'd be like :)

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='441547' date='Mar 22 2009, 10:20 AM']Yep, 3 x GS112's'd be 2.7 Ohms, 900 watts and they'd be resaleable, stackable and still a 1 handed carry (each). Can you borrow one and give it a try? I'm a bit too far away methinks.

Oh and they'd definately 'work' too.

In fact I always think 2 x GS112's are more than the sum, wonder what 3'd be like :)[/quote]

All fair comment....... I could still use 3 GS112's and a GS115 !! :rolleyes:

In all probability a pair of GS112's will do any gig i'm likely to get into in the near future.... but sometimes you wonder about upgraded components delivering more.... else why would someone put Nordstrands into a USA Jazz..... or replace perfectly good Aguilar circuits with funny filter things ;) :D

Cheers Guys

[quote name='Marcus' post='441528' date='Mar 22 2009, 08:47 PM']Hi Guys,

I'm very happy with my current Rig......

Agular DB750 & GS112 & GS112NT

However.......

i'm thinking I could upgrade the Drivers in my cabs to a higher power handling / better quality 4ohm units and achieve full power from my DB750 which is happy to deliver nearly a 1000W at 2ohms

I've read enough on here to know it's not all about watts.

I know for more volume i'd be way better off adding more cabs..... infact I have a GS115 which I can pair with the 2x 112's for a monster rig. I guess my thinking is.... Get a GS410 to run with the GS115 for big gigs (If they happen again) and have the "supercharged" 112's for more compact gigs....

Am I being Daft ? Should I leave well alone ? The cabs appear to have a pretty low sensitivity..... As I have lots of power available from the BD750 I feel as though this might be good in the respect of the fact that I can turn up the wick and get the amp out of first gear... Am I thinking correctly here ? Or is the popular pairing of the DB750 with say a super efficient Bergantino cab more of the way forward ?

I'm sure Aguilar spent a lot of time working out the best driver for the GS/DB112 - but there must have been an "economy factor" engineered in to achieve such a competitive price point...... would a more expensive driver that was well matched to the type of cabinet / internal vol etc yield an improvement or are there just physical limits to how much power and clean vol you can achieve from a small enclosure like the GS112

Is there a High power 12' Driver out there that's suitable to the box - if so what is it ?

Lot's of questions I know..... but I know we have some great experts in this field on Basschat.......

[b] Aguilar GS 112 Spec[/b]

One 12" cast frame woofer, 56 oz. magnet

Power handling: 300 watts

Impedance: 8 ohms

Phenolic tweeter with integral phase plug

Custom crossover with variable tweeter control

One Neutrik Speakon and two 1/4" inputs

Frequency response: 42 Hz to 16 kHz

Sensitivity: 95 DB 1W 1M

Heavy-duty spring loaded handle

Interlocking corners

Dimensions: 14"H x 19"W x 18"D

7-ply, void free Philippine mahogany

Weight: 42 lbs.

Thanks Guys

ATB
Mark[/quote]

Dont stuff around,...get the GS 412 and be done with it. :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='441571' date='Mar 22 2009, 10:49 AM']:)

Try one Marcus, read the hype, its justified. Takes a little aquaintance but once bitten, crafting tone is always better than tweeking it.

All imo of course.[/quote]

te he..... knew that's get a rise..... :rolleyes:

I've had a number of series Alembics so understand what you're saying...... with the exception of Stingray type basses I hardly ever boost bass for live use, so I accept that filter based pre-amps have something to add...

May consider an experiment with my Longhorn Jazz which currently has an East J Retro in it

Anyway........ where's Bill & Alex to tell me to leave my cabs alone :D

Now I have my Overwater to complement the Harlot I find myself having to tweek to get it to sit well in the mix - loadsa extra mids basically.

I miss the filter pre and thought about modding the Overwater (can't really afford to) but on looking into the control cavity it seems almost sacrilegious to interfere in there :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='441678' date='Mar 22 2009, 01:19 PM']Now I have my Overwater to complement the Harlot I find myself having to tweek to get it to sit well in the mix - loadsa extra mids basically.

I miss the filter pre and thought about modding the Overwater (can't really afford to) but on looking into the control cavity it seems almost sacrilegious to interfere in there :)[/quote]

No.... No..... don't kill the nice overwater !!!

I used to have a Progress III DLX 5 loved it but...... don't get on with 5's would eventually like to get a Progress 4 made

Someone on talkbass changed the stock drivers for DeltaLite II 2512s which can handle a lot more bottom and have much stronger mids. However such a swap would completely change the tone of the cabs.

There aren't any decent 4 ohm bass guitar suitable 12"s that I know of. Also there are no 'fullrange' 12"s that can come close to handling all the power your DB750 can deliver in the bottom into the current 4 ohm load.

Alex

You're operating with two basic misconceptions. The first is that 'getting all the watts out of my amp' will make any difference in how loud you'll go, the second is that the specs published by Aguilar are worth the paper they're printed on.
That said, you'll get a better result with Eminence 3012HO drivers, which have higher sensitivity than your current drivers, and longer throw. They're only available in 8 ohms, but there's no benefit in going 4 ohms anyway.
[quote]I'm sure Aguilar spent a lot of time working out the best driver for the GS/DB112[/quote] Most likely less than an hour. Deciding on a driver for a simple reflex box is a long way from rocket science, and more often than not boils down to whichever Eminence OEM is available at the desired price.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='442389' date='Mar 23 2009, 01:18 PM']You're operating with two basic misconceptions. The first is that 'getting all the watts out of my amp' will make any difference in how loud you'll go, the second is that the specs published by Aguilar are worth the paper they're printed on.
That said, you'll get a better result with Eminence 3012HO drivers, which have higher sensitivity than your current drivers, and longer throw. They're only available in 8 ohms, but there's no benefit in going 4 ohms anyway.
Most likely less than an hour. Deciding on a driver for a simple reflex box is a long way from rocket science, and more often than not boils down to whichever Eminence OEM is available at the desired price.[/quote]

Hi Bill.....
Of all the bass amp manufacturers i'd be inclined to believe Aguilar..... arn't a lot of bass amps power outputs quoted for a particular frequency only ? I believe my DB750 is capable of putting out it's power accross the full frequency spectrum as opposed to say 800hz or whatever ?

I know their cabs are made by another company so I have more faith in their amplifier topology than their speaker design

thanks for the Driver tip, i'll look into cost / availability in the UK - would I lose any nearfield sound by having driver with a longer throw ?

Best Regards

Mark

[quote name='Marcus' post='443096' date='Mar 23 2009, 04:59 PM']Hi Bill.....
Of all the bass amp manufacturers i'd be inclined to believe Aguilar....[/quote]Of the hundreds of Theile Small designed reflex cabs loaded with Eminence drivers this is one of them. They have not trod any ground not well covered by numerous others before them.
[quote]would I lose any nearfield sound by having driver with a longer throw ?[/quote]No.

[quote name='Marcus' post='443096' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:59 PM']would I lose any nearfield sound by having driver with a longer throw ?[/quote]

This is a very common and totally logical misconception - however 'longer throw' refers to the linear excursion abilities of the driver, i.e. how far back and forth the cone can move, not to how it 'throws' the sound. Often longer throw drivers have less midrange than shorter throw drivers (though this is not the case in the latest designs) and thus the lack of midrange causes you to think the sound is developing further away (due to boundary reflection and off-axis response issues).

Fortunately there are no loudspeakers that exhibit 'long throw' characteristics in the sense of 'throwing the sound' so it develops at a distance, though some PA speakers are referred to as long throw because they are more directional and thus should be used when the audience is a large distance away (or else those up close and to the sides won't hear the sound properly).

Alex