New Headless Birthday Bass Day!

unicorn1.thumb.jpg.32908ba36034c6a1d275a2dfa8eada93.jpg

Thanks to the sterling collaborative efforts of @Paul S and my lovely partner, I got this for me birfday! It's a Riverhead Unicorn RUB1090, from 1985-ish. I've wanted one of these since I tried one at the old Bass Centre in Wapping in 1985, and sadly found myself unequal to the £500 price tag!

They don't turn up too often & I've missed out on one or two, including this one when it first came up a few months ago. Happily Paul gave me first refusal - and a great excuse to get it at no personal expense! So everyone's a winner! :D

This is in nice condition for a 35-ish year old bass. A lot of these are pretty tatty, seemingly the factory finish wasn't too durable, but this has had a decent refin at some point, over the original matt black. The hardware's in near-new condition, which I'm surprised & very pleased about - many of these have corroded-looking metal parts. There's a little bit of fretwear, mostly under the E & A around the first 5 frets or so. A fret level/dress would help but I don't know if I'll bother - Paul's strung it with flats & the slight acoustic rattle doesn't seem to be audible when plugged in. Actually this is the first time I've had flats on a fretted bass in about 15 years & I'm surprised how well they work on this! Through my little Yamaha THR10 it sounds nice & full, with a bit of a Jazz growl to it. Pickups are passive single coils & fairly close to J positioning.

First impressions are that it's a bit nicer to play than my Hohner B2A or Cort Space headlesses - the chunky pickups provide a more natural feeling hand/thumb position and the narrow (39mm nut) but fairly deep neck makes it feel pretty substantial.

Very early impressions, I may try a bit of recording with it over the next few days. On the whole, I'm chuffed to bits!

• Like 8

I remember seeing Ashley Hutchings playing one of those back in the day in the Albion Band. I think they fall into the category of interesting.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gardenerben
      For sale or trade a rather lovely ACG Border Reiver. Purchased from the gent that is EAD on here, original ad below.
      The clarity the ACG FB bridge and ACG FB neck pickups offer is fantastic, really open sound. Ergonomics are great, very comfortable to play both standing or seated. Neck has an asymmetric carve so very easy to navigate. You are hard pushed to find a better made bass in this price bracket than an ACG IMHO so price is firm. Overall condition of the bass is excellent, it has mellowed to a more golden colour than the pics suggest.
      Only moving on as trying to limit myself to 34" scale on 4 strings as I find switching between them easier. 
      Swamp ash body 3 piece maple neck ART American Sycamore finger board  SEQ Pre 42mm at nut 3.6kg (on Kitchen scales) Fusion Gig bag  Willing to meet for collection following appropriate guidelines of the time within a reasonable distance. The Fusion gig bag is excellent but for insurance on postage I believe it has to be a hard case. I have one I could use but it's huge and heavy so shipping could be expensive. 

https://www.acguitars.co.uk/project/0310brss4/ 

• By sunfish
      Here is my lovely Fender Japan FSR 62 Walnut Jazz bass. With hard case. £875
      This is a stunning bass to play. Very punchy sound, with more kick than my USA jazz.
      The neck is a slim “C” shape with a rosewood fingerboard and exceptionally smooth and easy to play.
      Weight is 8.9lbs
      My drummer will be upset this is up for sale as the walnut finish matches his favourite snare drum!
      The walnut finish is lovely and very tricky to photograph. The machine heads and bridge are a smokey black which matches the walnut finish superbly.
      There is a small ding on the back of the headstock difficult to notice. (see picture) 
      I would normally be very happy to meet up half way, within reason but due to not wanting to die in this pandemic or get fined for breaching the regulations, I will post it in the UK for £35

• By claustra
      Hello,
      PRICE DROP ! Now £480 / 550€

PLEASE be aware that as the bass is in France, there might be import charges or delay to the UK.
      No probs with the rest of Europe.
      For sale is this rather uncommon Yamaha SuperBass800, made in Japan in 1978 and still in very good condition.

- Alder body
      - 1 piece quartersawn maple neck with natural white block inlays, gloss finish
      - 42mm nut : a Jazz bass with a Precision neck
      - "Progressive" headstock and back of neck design 😎
      - 4 to 4.1kg : under 9lbs
      Following the Yamaha BB serial chart, the SB800 was made in 1978.
      It has the same sturdy bridge and general construction as the BroadBass series with 2 jazz pickups : Vol / Vol / Tone
      The neck pickup has a Precisionesque tone, it is overall quite woody.
      Absolutely no buzz.
      It is just back from the luthier for a general check-up and set up : the trussrod works fine but is almost to a maximum, set up with 45-105s.

Here is for the neck :

back of neck sb800.mp4  

In the broad bass body category :

Asking for £480 / 550€ 
      Shipping is not a problem.
      Options to be discussed.
      I can include a brand new Gator GL lightweight case worth 55€ as I prefer not so ship with neck off.
      Any questions or further pics needed, please ask.
      Cheers

• By jay-syncro
      A lovely early 80's Yamaha JB600R Jazz up for grabs. These are exceptional jazz basses and every bit as good as early JV Squiers IMO. 
      This one has a beautifully dark rosewood board and a rather fetching Larry Graham style white finish. It weighs just 8.5lbs, is perfectly balanced, sounds great and comes with a nice gig bag. 
      The flats currently on it aren't included (it'll come with rounds) but I seriously recommend the buyer throws some flats on it. Perfect bass tone 😍
      I'd keep this one but I seem to have accidentally acquired a matching black one.. 

• By PlungerModerno
      I'm not sure where to post this really: http://www.sankeyguitars.com/whatsnew/2018/10/1/new-invention-wrap-lock-headless-tuner It's from a few years ago, and the examples are all guitars - but I can see it working with tapered or exposed core bass strings without scaling it up significantly. Not sure if it would be that useful on most basses with all wound strings but a piccolo bass or a six string (or more) with plain strings might benefit immensely over some of the standard set screw arrangements.

I think I might have stumbled across a possible path to tool-less headless single-ball-end string changes, if only you could implement a nifty automatic clipping system like some locking tuners have!
      Does anybody know of something that exists that does all this singing and dancing? The closest I can think of is the  NS Design Self-Clamping Tuning System which you still will want to clip the strings for - even if it was on the market as a bridge seems like a lot of routing, forces a certain string spacing, and would not allow for rear or other interesting, shrouded or angled tuner arrangements due to the tuning knobs being where they are (like a volume knob, 90 degrees from the usual headless arrangement, parallel to the strings).