Why become a member? ×

Brian Marshall - Alter Bridge

Mudpup

You rarely see much about this guy (he usually keeps his head down) but a nice little 15 minute video was released recently which is a good watch if you like him/Alter Bridge. I've always liked his playing personally - he's not flashy but really finds a good space between the drums and guitars to sit in and if you really listen to what he plays he does some lovely stuff. 

And here is one of my favourite songs that shows off how he locks in really well - i always turn it up in the car and it triggers that 'knowing' grin we get that most non bass players miss :-)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mudpup said:

And here is one of my favourite songs that shows off how he locks in really well - i always turn it up in the car and it triggers that 'knowing' grin we get that most non bass players miss 🙂

I'm surprised you can hear anything over the roar of the Porsche😁

Have to admit that I haven't heard much of their stuff (or anything of him) before, but I'll check them out - his lines sit really well in that tune. His tone is a lot rounder than I'd have you pegged as a fan of though!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I'm surprised you can hear anything over the roar of the Porsche😁

Have to admit that I haven't heard much of their stuff (or anything of him) before, but I'll check them out - his lines sit really well in that tune. His tone is a lot rounder than I'd have you pegged as a fan of though!!

You know me too well cuzzie 😂 He's been an Ashdown ABM user for years. Listen to where he sits against the kick drum on Brand New Start - is there such a thing as phat definition? 

2 hours ago, Mudpup said:

You know me too well cuzzie 😂 He's been an Ashdown ABM user for years. Listen to where he sits against the kick drum on Brand New Start - is there such a thing as phat definition? 

At our last band practice I took my ABM600 and our guitarist - a major Alter Bridge fan - said how much he liked the sound as it reminded him of Alter Bridges bass. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

At our last band practice I took my ABM600 and our guitarist - a major Alter Bridge fan - said how much he liked the sound as it reminded him of Alter Bridges bass. 

Yeh, i had one of those and a Stingray and you can get a lovely big fat but gritty sound from it. I've been thinking i muffed up selling it for a while now...

3 hours ago, Mudpup said:

It's a lovely line. Not so busy that it gets in the way, but busy enough that it's interesting to listen to and supports the rest of the song nicely. 

I didn't know you could make an EB bass sound like that! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merton said:

Great player, he does some cool stuff with tunings too. Some of his lines on the Blackbird and Fortress albums in particular stand out for me.

He said in an interview a while back that Mr Tremonti uses some really mad tunings so he just tunes to whatever is necessary to fit in with him and reduce the need for moving around the board a bit. It would be funny if his tech gave him the wrong bass for a song - the chances of winging it would be reduced somewhat.

And then there's the interesting time signatures in some parts of their songs........

• Like 1