Why become a member? ×

HB Short Scale PB

Burns-bass

My wife wanted to know what to buy me for Christmas, and after some discussion, my kids decided they wanted to buy me a bass. We found the Harley Benton shortscale for £74, so they bought it. 

I’m very excited about it and the kids are over the moon to buy dad a present he’ll love and use. 

Any advice on what strings I should get? Anything I need to know or check for when it arrives?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is a repeat post of something I put in the ‘Cheap Basses’ thread on General Discussion. I thought it might be useful for anyone looking at this thread and is contemplating buying one.

I’ve scratched both my cheap bass and short-scale itches by buying a Harley Benton 30” scale P bass. I consulted our own Paul S who is an owner of one, and he was very positive. So I did it.

For £79 plus postage it’s remarkably good. It was adequately set up straight out of the box and just needed tuning.  No rough edges on the frets. The bridge is solid and fully adjustable. Strings and pickup poles properly aligned. The pickup sounds good to me (bearing in mind the so-so round wound strings fitted). Tuners a little weak and perhaps heavy as there’s a slight tendency towards head-dive. However, overall it’s amazing for the price and I won’t hesitate to take it to band rehearsals and also gig it.

I’m not planning to make any changes to it. To me, adding to the cost of the bass would defeat the objective of having a cheap bass. I’ve got enough higher-quality expensive ones already! 

To anyone considering a short scale - I now have a bass I can keep out of sight in the boot of my hatchback. Very useful for those times I have somewhere to go and need to park the car before and after rehearsals.

I’ve added a photo of the shorty next to my US P deluxe so that the size and shape can be compared.

D248E1FF-0211-49EB-A1E9-1EA1BB15DF46.jpeg

B211461A-9741-44BF-BCC8-F7ED44E11ACD.jpeg

• Like 1