Why become a member? ×

Ritter basses

Thunderbird

29 minutes ago, akabane said:

Different strokes and all that :)

That being said, I've only ever only found a couple of Jens' basses "beautiful", and those include one of his pure white builds and one of his black matte ones (unfortunately not remembering the model names). I've never played one and definitely looking forward to. They are definitely out there, and Ritter seems like one of the few bass luthiers around that keeps making statements (whether we might like them or not :) ) and I can only applaud him for that! 

By the way, to whomever said they look like child drawings of a Carl Thompson...to me Thompson designs have always looked very, very bad (all the proportions feel wrong every time I've put my hands on one, or seen one). And I am a person who tends to like more 'baroque' design choices (which his designs are full of), so it's not even that I don't like the style. Just THOSE particular designs - almost never seen a CT I liked aesthetically. However, I did have a chance to play a CT and it was an absolutely impressive instrument! Which I reckon is the same experience I'd have playing a Ritter. So...who gives? :P

There was a gorgeous Carl Thompson for sale here a few years ago. Still kicking myself I didn’t jump in when I had the chance. Unfortunately, the seller has now removed the photo’s from the thread, but it was a stunner, to my eyes at least.

1 hour ago, akabane said:

Different strokes and all that :)

That being said, I've only ever only found a couple of Jens' basses "beautiful", and those include one of his pure white builds and one of his black matte ones (unfortunately not remembering the model names). I've never played one and definitely looking forward to. They are definitely out there, and Ritter seems like one of the few bass luthiers around that keeps making statements (whether we might like them or not :) ) and I can only applaud him for that! 

By the way, to whomever said they look like child drawings of a Carl Thompson...to me Thompson designs have always looked very, very bad (all the proportions feel wrong every time I've put my hands on one, or seen one). And I am a person who tends to like more 'baroque' design choices (which his designs are full of), so it's not even that I don't like the style. Just THOSE particular designs - almost never seen a CT I liked aesthetically. However, I did have a chance to play a CT and it was an absolutely impressive instrument! Which I reckon is the same experience I'd have playing a Ritter. So...who gives? :P

I said it, and personally I feel Carl’s designs generally flow far better, although appreciate they’re still very much an acquired taste.

Most - not all - of Jens designs don’t flow at all, IMO, and I have a background in art/design (not that that has any real bearing on personal taste). To me, they really do look like they’ve been drawn by a child.

6 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I said it, and personally I feel Carl’s designs generally flow far better, although appreciate they’re still very much an acquired taste.

I must admit I didn't know what they were until I googled, like Les Claypools bass.

They look ok I guess, I don't get on with the curl at the top. Actually looking again, that is the brown ones, but there is a picture of Les Claypool with a black one and that looks very nice.

6 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Most - not all - of Jens designs don’t flow at all, IMO, and I have a background in art/design (not that that has any real bearing on personal taste). To me, they really do look like they’ve been drawn by a child.

I think they are some of the most beautiful basses going but then maybe thats because I haven't got a background in art and design? Not too keen on the pillowy guitar ones, but the long thin ones, the royas, raptors and jupiters, fantastic.

I think though both of the manufacturers have the advantage that at least they are a NAFF* design

* Not Another Fender - some words may have been removed.

52 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I must admit I didn't know what they were until I googled, like Les Claypools bass.

They look ok I guess, I don't get on with the curl at the top. Actually looking again, that is the brown ones, but there is a picture of Les Claypool with a black one and that looks very nice.

I think they are some of the most beautiful basses going but then maybe thats because I haven't got a background in art and design? Not too keen on the pillowy guitar ones, but the long thin ones, the royas, raptors and jupiters, fantastic.

I think though both of the manufacturers have the advantage that at least they are a NAFF* design

* Not Another Fender - some words may have been removed.

Oh, I applaud them both for doing something different.
Im not sure they’d be happy about being referred to as NAFF designs though.😂