Why become a member? ×

Playing to the camera

bass_dinger

I have been asked to join a Socially Distanced church band.  That means that the musicians will all be on a large stage, two metres apart, with separate monitor mixes - from right to left we have keys, mic'd drums, bass, acoustic guitar and two singers from the same family.  There will be no congregation.  It is, in effect, a soundcheck in which we get to test:

1. the new stage monitors (which is driven by its own on-stage mixing desk);
  2. the room mix (driven by the house mixing desk)
  3. The separate Live YouTube broadcast mix (which will be driven by a second and different mix from the house mixing desk)
  4. the quality and positioning of the four cameras
  5. Our ability to play with each other, maintain eye contact, and play with feeling and sensitivity
  6. Our ability not look like total buffoons on camera. 

Item 1 is fine - I am (reasonably okay with adjusting the stage mix).  Items 2, 3 and 4 will be handled by the Worship Leader, whose day job is broadcast engineer with Sky News.  Item 5 I have done before.  Ahhh . . . but Item 6.

Does anyone have any advice for playing in front of a camera?  This is not about performing.  However, YouTube is a visual medium, so I want to be animated without being hyperactive.  I want to look like I am enjoying myself (because, generally, I am having fun when I play). but I don't want to look silly.  I am also struggling with the stage lighting - it hurts to look at it, and whenever I look up, it is in my eyes.  The alternatives seem to be squinting, looking at my shoes, or wearing shades. 

So far, I have decided on a non-patterned shirt and smart trousers, and will use the microphones to talk to other musicians (otherwise, I get a bit shouty, as the room is large).

Any other tips?

39 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

...Any other tips?

It's the hardest thing, but the best, in my opinion: just ignore the stuff and do whatever you do naturally. I'm assuming that you're not normally performing in a skeleton suit and leaping from the top of the PA columns..? Take courage from the greats, such as Mr Entwistle, or Mr Wyman, neither renowned for their choreography. Any visual influences from Mr Dunn might be best toned down; his expressions and 'interesting' movements seemed to attract the camera, and although he could get away with it, it may not suit all occasions.
The focus of the occasion will be on all the other performers, so just play your bass as usual and let the ambiance flow over everyone in joyful discreet harmony.

If the lighting does bother you, maybe have a word with the lighting operator..? If that can't be done, turn a quarter-turn away, so as not to have 'em in your eyes.
Hope this helps; have fun. B|