Why become a member? ×

Wrongo!
£125
Yeovil, Somerset

Woodinblack

I am having a clearout, so putting up a few basses tonight.

This is an odd one, this is my 'wrongo', it is like an ali-express copy of a musicman bongo, but not really a copy, more a parody, by someone who has never actually seen a real bongo. I actually had to ask them to not put the proper bongo logos on it, although if they had, who knows where they would have been.

So, its basswood, probably, its quite light. Has a thickish deep neck, so more musicman, but reasonably narrow spacing. 

The dimensions are all wrong, and when I got it, it went through batteries - although see those two 9v battery covers? One of them has nothing behind it! Turns out the bit that turns power off, the stereo jack socket, well , they had also gone for a 3 pin socket but it wasn't actually stereo so the battery was on permanently. That is now fixed with a new socket and is now functional.

If you look at the detail, pretty well everything is wrong. The markers on the side don't even line up.

That is all the bad, but in its defence, it actually plays very well, has a nice action and sounds pretty good. Presumably more by luck than judgement. I have even gigged it where someone actually asked me if it was a bongo. I mean, imagine someone in a pub audience noticing the bass and then knowing what a bongo was? And then being wrong :D It is actually a nice bass to play and it lived in my office as a sort of bash around bass. As such it has got a couple of scars on its actually not bad matte black silky surface.

But, I need to reduce numbers and get rid of things, so it has to go. So here it is, can pick it up from my house for £125, or I can deliver or meet in a socially distanced way somewhere not to far (would be good for a drive), or I could probably ship it - can't cost too much as it isn't worth much so insurance isn't an issue.. Not going down below £125 because that is hardly worth the effort and I had to work on it. Can always hang on to it and sell it off at the SW bass bash when that happens.

Don't want to trade as I am cutting down, although if there is something worth 125 that isn't a bass or amplifier related, I am all ears.

IMG_0736.thumb.jpeg.147f967d558d7ec12b3adc1e2a95bdf7.jpeg

Thing of beauty?

IMG_0741.thumb.jpeg.d31a4b6ee3ad7651ff79f97797fabcf2.jpeg

I scratched it here on the side

IMG_0740.thumb.jpeg.9d26aa873fcf409bf131ff1aad12f63e.jpeg

Look how well those line up. The machine heads aren't the best I have used, but it doesn't go out of tune.

IMG_0739.thumb.jpeg.f4ee410d4708b95ec918a3dcc5b4e94e.jpeg

Two battery compartments - go on, which one is the real one, are you feeling lucky?

IMG_0738.thumb.jpeg.bae71b13d73da98af82ad21ad0ed7b93.jpeg

Not too bad really

IMG_0737.thumb.jpeg.7b4ab8cb551d2a697527aac3e2eb83c3.jpeg

Look at the masterful way the strings all bend slightly to the left.

IMG_0749.thumb.jpeg.bb2e51a265caf1f1ded4ffead7b5e8d6.jpeg

OK, so the pickguard was chewed away from the plastic by a small child and the fret side dots were applied by dats from a distance, but those frets aren't bad  and the pickups work

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, alyctes said:

I'm tempted to nab it and get it defretted.  But since I'm probably going to be laid off next week, that doesn't seem wise, somehow :(

Good luck with your sale!

Good idea! Hope you are wrong, good luck with your job!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...