Why become a member? ×

Nice CIJ P bass on the 'bay

Clarky

Was gently chided y'day for posting an eBay link to a nice CIJ P-bass that was BIN'ed in less than an hour. So here's another nice one without a BIN :) [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crafted-in-Japan-1957-Reissue-Fender-Precision-Bass_W0QQitemZ330313953312QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item330313953312&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crafted-in-Japan-195...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

[quote name='paul h' post='432504' date='Mar 12 2009, 02:59 PM']I know absolutely nothing about Fenders, or basses in general...but does the sunburst look a bit off?

P.[/quote]
Looks legit to me and the neck has the correct Crafted in Japan imprint. Could of course be a re-spray. That said, he's not over-selling it, by saying its a basswood (not alder) body and he does appear to have genuinely improved the electronics.

Its not for me but the starting price is good

[quote name='Clarky' post='432473' date='Mar 12 2009, 02:41 PM']Was gently chided y'day for posting an eBay link to a nice CIJ P-bass that was BIN'ed in less than an hour. So here's another nice one without a BIN :rolleyes: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crafted-in-Japan-1957-Reissue-Fender-Precision-Bass_W0QQitemZ330313953312QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item330313953312&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crafted-in-Japan-195...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url][/quote]

I know that Clarky and people like him are trying to help fellow BCers out by highlighting 'potentially' cheapie basses in this section of the forum but I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, unless it is a BIN you are flagging up, then you may well be urinating on someone else's bonfire by flagging up every 'cheapie' you come across! There may well be fellow BCers watching some of these basses hoping to bag a bargain; however, if folks come on and shout about this and that bargain then 'potentially' anyone looking in this section of the forum is gonna take an interest and there-by bump the final price up.

It might be my personal beef but can people see where I am coming from and try to stick to flagging up bargain Buy-It-Now items? I may well not give a flying fig about this Precision but if I had my eye on a nice cheap Warwick I'd be chuffin well mad as hell if someone came on here shouting, "Look at this!". :)

To offset what I've just said, I'd like to applaud Clarky flagging up the other BIN bargain even if some people thought it was a bit late.... shame on you, at least he spotted it! :D

I was just joking. :) I've been trawling through the Fenders and i somehow missed that one. i think i might have pressed the BIN button on that one. not sure about this one, i think it will go for more than £280/ anyone going to have a go?. thanks Clarky by the way.

Edited by beerdragon

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='433003' date='Mar 12 2009, 11:02 PM']I know that Clarky and people like him are trying to help fellow BCers out by highlighting 'potentially' cheapie basses in this section of the forum but I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, unless it is a BIN you are flagging up, then you may well be urinating on someone else's bonfire by flagging up every 'cheapie' you come across! There may well be fellow BCers watching some of these basses hoping to bag a bargain; however, if folks come on and shout about this and that bargain then 'potentially' anyone looking in this section of the forum is gonna take an interest and there-by bump the final price up.

It might be my personal beef but can people see where I am coming from and try to stick to flagging up bargain Buy-It-Now items? I may well not give a flying fig about this Precision but if I had my eye on a nice cheap Warwick I'd be chuffin well mad as hell if someone came on here shouting, "Look at this!". :)

To offset what I've just said, I'd like to applaud Clarky flagging up the other BIN bargain even if some people thought it was a bit late.... shame on you, at least he spotted it! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thinking back, fairly major lumps of my kit, bearing in mind I only buy bargains, have come from ebay scores posted up here. My 8x10 and the Mockingbird both were posted. Anything interesting I see I post up if I don't want it, feel its only returning the favour. If I'm after something someone says they are after here, I'll pm them and make sure we don't push eachother up.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='433003' date='Mar 12 2009, 11:02 PM']I know that Clarky and people like him are trying to help fellow BCers out by highlighting 'potentially' cheapie basses in this section of the forum but I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, unless it is a BIN you are flagging up, then you may well be urinating on someone else's bonfire by flagging up every 'cheapie' you come across! There may well be fellow BCers watching some of these basses hoping to bag a bargain; however, if folks come on and shout about this and that bargain then 'potentially' anyone looking in this section of the forum is gonna take an interest and there-by bump the final price up.

To offset what I've just said, I'd like to applaud Clarky flagging up the other BIN bargain even if some people thought it was a bit late.... shame on you, at least he spotted it! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Jeez, I was genuinely trying to be helpful as I know that CIJ P-basses in particular are highly sought after by Forum members. If the consensus is that I'm "urinating on someone's bonfire" I will not post eBay links again and I will spend the time doing something of personal benefit to myself instead.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='433178' date='Mar 13 2009, 06:44 AM']Jeez, I was genuinely trying to be helpful as I know that CIJ P-basses in particular are highly sought after by Forum members. If the consensus is that I'm "urinating on someone's bonfire" I will not post eBay links again and I will spend the time doing something of personal benefit to myself instead.[/quote]

You can take my comment that way if you like Clarky but if you read my post again you'll see that I praised your highlighting the BIN, I do it regularly; I also occasionally PM an individual if I know someone has mentioned they are actively searching for a specific bass (especially and unusual one). In fact one or two members on here own basses gotten very cheaply because I did exactly that.

What I was pointing out and I had hoped that people might understand is, that if I (or anyone else for that matter) come across something on ebay that looks pretty cheap I watch it hoping to bag a bargain BUT if someone comes on here or any other forum and brings it to the attention of other like minded individuals then I am now in 'potentially' a position where I am bidding against other forum members to get said item. I accept that the other person 'might' have spotted it any way but there are plenty of times, especially when items are in the wrong section, when people may not have spotted it.

As an example I was watching a Streamer auction on eBay that the seller had listed in 'cars for sale' section(!) lo-and-behold someone flags it up on the Warwick forum and everyone starts talking about this bargain 'sleeper'. Needless to say it didn't go that cheap and it is now owned by one of the people who had posted that they hadn't seen the listing. You could argue that the person who won it was done a favour by the poster BUT equally I have been shafted and would have been the winner any way as I ended up bidding up against TWO other forum members AND I would have got it a lot cheaper. :)

My response wasn't meant to be an attack on your good intentions Clarky, if you think it is then there is nothing I can do or say and so be it; If you can't see where my original intent lay after explaining further or if you and others still think that it benefits others then by all means highlight anything you see but bear in mind one day someone else may well do the same thing to you.

I will stress again that BIN listings are a different matter entirely... OH and all of the above is just my opinion anyway, people who come on here looking to see what someone else might have found for them, may think differently! :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='433196' date='Mar 13 2009, 07:31 AM']You can take my comment that way if you like Clarky but if you read my post again you'll see that I praised your highlighting the BIN, I do it regularly; I also occasionally PM an individual if I know someone has mentioned they are actively searching for a specific bass (especially and unusual one). In fact one or two members on here own basses gotten very cheaply because I did exactly that.

What I was pointing out and I had hoped that people might understand is, that if I (or anyone else for that matter) come across something on ebay that looks pretty cheap I watch it hoping to bag a bargain BUT if someone comes on here or any other forum and brings it to the attention of other like minded individuals then I am now in 'potentially' a position where I am bidding against other forum members to get said item. I accept that the other person 'might' have spotted it any way but there are plenty of times, especially when items are in the wrong section, when people may not have spotted it.

As an example I was watching a Streamer auction on eBay that the seller had listed in 'cars for sale' section(!) lo-and-behold someone flags it up on the Warwick forum and everyone starts talking about this bargain 'sleeper'. Needless to say it didn't go that cheap and it is now owned by one of the people who had posted that they hadn't seen the listing. You could argue that the person who won it was done a favour by the poster BUT equally I have been shafted and would have been the winner any way as I ended up bidding up against TWO other forum members AND I would have got it a lot cheaper. :)

My response wasn't meant to be an attack on your good intentions Clarky, if you think it is then there is nothing I can do or say and so be it; If you can't see where my original intent lay after explaining further or if you and others still think that it benefits others then by all means highlight anything you see but bear in mind one day someone else may well do the same thing to you.

I will stress again that BIN listings are a different matter entirely... OH and all of the above is just my opinion anyway, people who come on here looking to see what someone else might have found for them, may think differently! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Well perhaps the Forum "eBay links" page should be changed or dropped altogether, following your line of logic (which seems very selfish to me).

Do you know what? I haven't been too chuffed with some of the stuff going on the Forum recently (I know Ped and others are trying to put it right) and this is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I am going to take a break from BC and come back when I feel better inclined towards it. And no, unlike some attention-seekers, no poll, no PMs etc. See you in a month or two.

[quote name='Clarky' post='433255' date='Mar 13 2009, 08:55 AM']Well perhaps the Forum "eBay links" page should be changed or dropped altogether, following your line of logic (which seems very selfish to me).

Do you know what? I haven't been too chuffed with some of the stuff going on the Forum recently (I know Ped and others are trying to put it right) and this is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I am going to take a break from BC and come back when I feel better inclined towards it. And no, unlike some attention-seekers, no poll, no PMs etc. See you in a month or two.[/quote]

Don't go Clarky, just because I enjoy your posts (yeah, that's me being selfish :) ).

This has come up before and there was no consensus found. My view is that although flagging up a potential bargain might step on someone's toes, it also might alert people to something that might otherwise go unsold (and then relisted in the correct section or whatever). So it's all swings and roundabouts.

In this case I don't think there was anything wrong with flagging it up whatsoever - it's in plain sight (no spelling errors, right category, etc.) and is fair game. It's just a bog standard auction with stacks of time to run and a fair starting price which is sure to rise in any case. I can see Warwickhunt's point of view, but I don't really think this was the auction to bring it up on.

[quote name='Clarky' post='433255' date='Mar 13 2009, 08:55 AM']Well perhaps the Forum "eBay links" page should be changed or dropped altogether, following your line of logic (which seems very selfish to me).

Do you know what? I haven't been too chuffed with some of the stuff going on the Forum recently (I know Ped and others are trying to put it right) and this is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I am going to take a break from BC and come back when I feel better inclined towards it. And no, unlike some attention-seekers, no poll, no PMs etc. See you in a month or two.[/quote]

:)