Jump to content
JJTee

James Last...memories of childhood

Recommended Posts

When I was a kid and stayed round my Nan & Grandads on a Saturday night James Last was often on the TV, both Nan & Grandad loved his shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lockdown fever is making me post James Last's version of LZ "The Immigrant Song". Skip to 1:07 for the good stuff. 

James Last covering Deep Purple? No problem:

And finally, at no extra cost, here's James Last going all batucada for you. This actually is proper fierce, I've played it in otherwise all-Brazilian DJ sets and folks often want to know which rare Brazilian record it is. Also, to the right of the LP sleeve pictured, the bass player has got what looks suspiciously like a super rare candy apple red Fender Bass V...

I'm a firm believer that you can find great stuff in any genre of music, no matter how impossible it seems 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was surgery nonsense for sure but I always had a great respect for the arrangements and musicianship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the thing, isn't it. When I was growing up James Last was not at the very forefront of what I wanted to listen but now that I am old and can step back a bit I am hearing a HUGE band of what are obviously proper players doing it live and being well looked after. I am digging it. We might look at them and be envious of their threads and think "yeah, it is not originals and yadda yadda yadda" but they were travelling the world and earning proper money. I would sign up in a heartbeat. You can look at the people playing on Strictly and think "yeah, but it is all covers etc etc". They are the absolute cream of the crop. I had the pleasure of doing a few gigs with one of them a long time ago and he was the most sublime musician I have ever played with. Not only could he literally read THE most awkward parts I have ever had to deal with, but he did it sounding as if he had been playing that part for years, then soloed over it as if he had written then piece. I know he was sight reading cos they were new tunes. And his ability to accompany was telepathic. I would bet that a solid 60% of JL's players were there or therabouts and the other 40% were just normal monsters.

I do feel sad about those drum fills in Black Night though :(

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bass player has a nice Musicman Cutlass here and a pretty good Macca impression.  Slightly rough video, but a certain charm to this:

 

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/06/2020 at 21:48, meterman said:

And finally, at no extra cost, here's James Last going all batucada for you. This actually is proper fierce, I've played it in otherwise all-Brazilian DJ sets and folks often want to know which rare Brazilian record it is. Also, to the right of the LP sleeve pictured, the bass player has got what looks suspiciously like a super rare candy apple red Fender Bass V...

 

You beat me to it Meterman.

I've been listening to this track since 1970 when my Dad bought the album - and it's on my iPod. 

2' 25" of percussion-istic (?) exuberance, excitement and sheer joy.

Play it loud and then play it again 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...