Why become a member? ×

do I need a new bridge for this pickup?

Angel

OK, so I'm captain cockup on my first bass guitar build. Despite pretty careful planning on the most part, my bridge and bridge pickup are not looking compatible. 

Whilst I have to take the blame, Delano had a lack of info and Schaller had what I deem as slightlymisleading info. 

In terms of Delano, I really wanted to use their JMVC 5 pickup, but their size diagrams on the website didn't show the pole pieces (a bit frustrating), also there is no mention of required string spacing. 

I was also very keen on the Schaller 3d adjustable bridge. Their info says string spacing E-A 65 - 70mm, string spacing individual 13,5 - 18,8 mm. Without putting enough thought into it (clearly!) I saw the 18.8mm and took that as the maximum string spacing, which would have been fine. What I SHOULD have looked at was the 70mm max width. The 18.8mm is actually rather pointless, you 'can' achieve that distance between two strings, but only between two, the others would be bunched up. So a rather pointless thing to include!?!

Anyway, the bottom line according to my full size diagram is that the strings won't line up with the pole pieces, (see pic). I was wondering if anyone thinks I could get away with this, or do I need a wider spaced bridge? 

Anyone need a Schaller 3D 5?

LmDFvYI.jpg

52 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It will also depend on how wide the neck is at the body end. Are you making your own neck and therefore it can be what ever width you want or do you already have a neck that you want to use?

Yes, making neck & body, so scope to alter. I've made templates but I can knock a new neck one up if required.

The pole piece positioning relative to the strings shouldn't matter, so it will be mainly down to whether your OCD can handle it. 

Mine wouldn't be able to - especially if this was a bass I was building myself. I would want everything is perfect as my wood-working skills allowed. I also wouldn't be able to cope with angling the pickup so that the pole pieces did line up. In many ways that is worse. If it needs to be done for tonal benefits then I would have to hide the pickup under a rectangular soapbar cover.

What might be more important is how you like the string spacing with the bridge set up like that. 

When it's your own build don't compromise simply because you have mistakenly bought components that aren't the best ones for what you want. Get them changed for the ones that are right.

• Like 1

I really like the look of the delano pickups, so I don't want to cover them. 

I agree that my OCD side doesn't quite like this. It sounds like I could get away with this from a working point of view, so it's just down to whether I want the hassle of getting another bridge, possibly scrapping my neck template etc.

I'm not too fussed on string spacing, I've been off of bass playing for quite some years now, so this is just a project to galvanise interest again. I will get used to however it comes out!

angled pickup ..... interesting thought ..... I may have to see how that looks. [just tried it - not sure I like it!] 

1 hour ago, Angel said:

angled pickup ..... interesting thought ..... I may have to see how that looks. [just tried it - not sure I like it!] 

My OCD likes angled pickups even less than the pole pieces not all matching up with the strings. Plus if you use the pickup as a thumb rest it's really uncomfortable. I speak from experience.