Why become a member? ×

Vintage 1004 - Should I have GAS?

Clockworkwar

[quote name='Machines' post='429148' date='Mar 9 2009, 11:04 AM']No no - those V1004DX's are great. I reviewed one in 2007 and it was fantastic.

Have a look here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9244"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9244[/url][/quote]

That review gave me the GAS lol.

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='430797' date='Mar 10 2009, 06:02 PM']I want this bass now :)[/quote]
Hi there,

Try some out first. Maybe look at some alternatives.
Try not to be tempted by looks or specs alone, as with anything it could look great but sound and play like a bag of spanners.
Or it may appear cheap and nasty but turn out to be a peach.
Choose a bass that is comfortable for your playing style and posture ( and shape!! ) that sounds the way you want and you will not be going wrong!

Good luck with the GAS,
Chris

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='429589' date='Mar 9 2009, 05:54 PM']anybody bought one?[/quote]
I have, largely on the back of machines review.

I think I paid about £260 for mine from imuso, and I've had it nearly a year. I bought it blind (ie mail order) and was well chuffed with what I got. I got it delivered to work, and when I unpacked it the guys in the post room were stunned into silence; they couldn't believe how up-market it looked given it's price.

There were no construction issues, it's solid and comfortable to play. The sound is pretty modern; this is no fender clone.

Overall I think 'vintage' have done well with this one.
If you're not a label-whore (ie aren't bothered that 'vintage' is written on the headstock) and can bag one up for £250, you're getting a lot of bass for your cash.

H&R

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='434688' date='Mar 14 2009, 04:34 PM']I have, largely on the back of machines review.

I think I paid about £260 for mine from imuso, and I've had it nearly a year. I bought it blind (ie mail order) and was well chuffed with what I got. I got it delivered to work, and when I unpacked it the guys in the post room were stunned into silence; they couldn't believe how up-market it looked given it's price.

There were no construction issues, it's solid and comfortable to play. The sound is pretty modern; this is no fender clone.

Overall I think 'vintage' have done well with this one.
If you're not a label-whore (ie aren't bothered that 'vintage' is written on the headstock) and can bag one up for £250, you're getting a lot of bass for your cash.

H&R[/quote]

I looking for it to play jazz with, so I want a nice mellow modern tone.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='429589' date='Mar 9 2009, 06:54 PM']anybody bought one?[/quote]

I've just bought the V1004SP with the spalted maple top from redey's Music for £289 and it looks great. The only issue for me is that I want to adjust the height of the pick ups and they've been screwed down so hard that it was difficult to loosen them off. Even when I managed to loosten them the pick ups don'd want to come any higher. I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow to see if they can do anything with it as I don't want to be too heavy handed. I based my decision on the review and the fact that I alrady have a second hand Vintage V940 that i bought of another chatter and thak on is a great bass.

I hope the shop can sort the pick ups as I really love it.