Why become a member? ×

Band trouble, advice needed.

Dante

So here's the story,

I joined a band just before xmas, the atomsphere and the music were great and we were well on our way to gigging and recording with some great stuff.
And then the drummer left . . . . . . . . . . . . . . this put a bit of a dent in our band, he was a great drummer who added alot to our sound. But we carried on, and then the lead guitarist left. . . . . . . . . . . .this left us feeling even more down. We haven't been able to replace either, not that we haven't tried, we've auditioned and not found anyone to replace them. We're not setting our sights too high either, we've jammed with people and they either have no ability or there's no chemistry / they're hard to work with.

And now I'm thinking of leaving, me and the remaining members get on great, but I no longer look forward to rehearsing and the thought of more auditions make me cringe.

Any advice??

:)

It's sounds like you're not really in a band at the moment, you're still trying to put a band together. There's nothing wrong with that. If you leave this project, you'll just start trying to put another band together and probably ask the same people, so stick with it and look for some more people! Try the online wanted and available ads.

Stick with the guys who have stuck with you, and stuff the abandoners. Put a freeze on paractices until you find replacements, until then meet regularly to write new material ready for your full line up :rolleyes:

Edit: Killer material is a great incentive for new members to join!

If you want to practice the new material, sounds like you have enough people for acoustic stuff? You'll probably even be able to get gigs quite easily as an acoustic act, even if it is temporary :)

Don't give up!

Edited by Biggsy

I'm in a 3 piece. Our first drummer left - went to university in Norwich :wacko: (he's quite a bit younger than us). Luckily we got another, but he wasn't anywhere near the style of the first, which meant we rewrote the material. Then he left - off to go play percussion with Julian Cope or something or other. We rewrote the material and some different and started playing as a duo. We've recently started playing with another guitarist. So we're back to 3, but with no drums.

Interestingly, for me anyway... playing live with no drummer has been the most eye-opening thing I've done as a musician.

We're auditioning a new drummer next week who we've got high hopes for. After playing for 6 months - about 10 gigs and an album without one.

I suppose my point is that if you can get on with the remainder - why not just carry on - you don't need all the parts you think you need, you just need determination and a willingness to make music from who's left.

Gah...bands....this is what being in a band is like I'm afraid, at least that's my experience during 30 years of being in and out of them. You get a great band, you get a great set, and everything ticks over lovely for a few months, then someone gets the hump and leaves, and the auditions start.

If I had the techno gumption, I'd set myself up at home and record solo stuff, demos etc. I'd much rather that than play live, I love the studio. However I'm far too thick and lazy to sort all that out for myself, so I carry on in the band, waiting for someone to leave.

I'd stick with it and see where it goes. It's a pain I know, but if you like the band and the set, then I'd hang in there and see if a drummer comes along. Generally drummers are [i]fairly[/i] straight forward to find, singers are the worst, if you have a good singer, hang on to them with a vice like grip. Finding a great singer is a nightmare.

Life on the road eh?

Stick with it. There's freakin' hundreds of musos out there and a bit of flexibility goes a long way.

FWIW, last year a local hero guitarist got me, keys, drums and a vocalist for his 'project'. Sounded fantastic. Then, out of the blue, he fired us all simultaneously by email.

So we got a new guitarist and now we're a band and matey boy's still looking.

Edited by skankdelvar