Why become a member? ×

Parallel Effects

DanOwens

So I've been thinking:

With my old Novation Supernova, i could run (simultaneously) 8 different synth patches. This meant i could have various bass/mid-heavy sounds and either switch between or run together to gain all sorts of different sounds.

Thisname mentioned in another thread about running an OC2 as a layer amongst other effects. This is actually one of the applications I would try.

Is there anything out there that can do this? a parallel, programmable router?

Dan

I suppose a midi controlled mixer with something to split the signal and then a feed from each chain going back into the mixer. Then some kind of foot controller to toggle the presets.

The great thing about Novation gear is how you can use each and every effect on each patch in a performance.

It would get very complicated as you'd need a MIDI controllable router/switcher and a mixer(maybe MIDI controllable) and a MIDI foot switch thingy. For very basic experimentation.... If you want two parallel lines, use an LS-2. For 3, put another LS-2 in one of the loops of the other.

I want to get a Boss LS-2 to try out some parallel chains... although it can only give you 2 chains of course. I've also seen somebody use mini Rolls mixers like these (but I think these mixers are passive and wou would be better off with active ones to prevent issues with your chains having different impedances):

Hope Ric5 at Talkbass doesn't mind me posting the image!

Sorry guys, guess I should've been more clear but typing on a G1 can get pretty frustrating!!

I'm after working with Audio, plus some kind of looper (like the voodoo labs stuff) that splits your input into (say) 8 different paths.

You then toggle each sound/pedal individually which are later mixed together.

I suppose a passive mixer used the wrong way at the start, and the right way at the end to add them together and turn each effect on and off seperately?

Dan

Edited by DanOwens

Your problem is when you switch between 1 or 2 of the channels, to all 4, it'll be much louder. You'd need a controlled mixer or some sort of complicated solution. I can't quite get my head around it at the moment. I'm thinking along the lines of different set levels on the mixer, and switching between the different channels for each option. Hopefully I will have some sensible suggestions in the morning.

I was thinking something similar. I was thinking a system not unlike the Voodoo Labs GCX, where you plug each pedal into a router and have a control floorboard. Only in my imaginary perfect world each button selects a preset routing (parallel and series for each effect) and levels predetermined so it doesn't get too messy and loud.

Why not include multi-channel (decent) compressors and parametric EQs for each pedal so that each time you hit a preset, it is exactly the way you want it.

I'm sure what I'm asking for can be done, but I think someone with more aptitude might be the one to do it!!

Dan

[quote name='cheddatom' post='425319' date='Mar 4 2009, 05:21 PM']Your problem is when you switch between 1 or 2 of the channels, to all 4, it'll be much louder. You'd need a controlled mixer or some sort of complicated solution. I can't quite get my head around it at the moment. I'm thinking along the lines of different set levels on the mixer, and switching between the different channels for each option. Hopefully I will have some sensible suggestions in the morning.[/quote]
i don't think you'd have problems with it being louder, i think thered be some serious phasing issues and impedence problems if you did it with passive splitters etc. It'd be very simple to make something like the LS-2 but with more loops if you wanted to.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='425655' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:07 AM']Phasing issues? Surely not if the sounds are massively effected.

What kind of impedance issues would I be facing?

Dan[/quote]
i guess it would be okay if they were effected all the time just if you turned off any of them it could lead to problems.

you could have problems with impedence mis matching between the effects if it isn't properly buffered to which would end up with them not sounding like they should be doing. i'd recomend building a big buffered effects loop it's very simple if you have some experience with a soldering iron - i can draw you up a schematic if you wish?

I used to use a heaphone jack splitter to take a passive spit before a two different distortions in parallel, and then have an ABY at the other end. All three sounded fine, even Y when one of the distortions was off, but Y was a bit louder.

If you're going to have a buffered input at the start of each chain, why not just make a jack lead with loads of splits off it, plug each split into a seperate chain, put a volume pedal on the end of each chain and then plug the outs from the volume pedals into a little mixer, or maybe just another jack lead with loads of splits on it. This way you can select each chain with the volume pedal, and level them out if needs be by fine tuning the volume pedals.

Since the OC-2 discussion earlier I've been thinking maybe a little mixer would be handy. That way I could have four parallel FX chains but also the possibility of feeding them into each other, creating feedback loops, etc. But it would mean having a little mixer plus some custom stomp switches taking up half my board. Not entirely practical.

• 3 weeks later...

For the DnB band i need complex sounds. we had a meeting this week and me and the synth player were discussing this (hence me bringing it up again).

i thought maybe i could buy a multi-channel splitter, but looking at it i'm stuck with $1000 devices like the Radial JD7. The guy that owns the studio we use is a whizz with a soldering iron (we use lots of EQs and compressors from Neve designs). I could probably convince him to build me something but i'd like to try it out first.

so maybe i should think about tuner - 3 strand splitter cable - boss pedals at the start of the chain (non-TBP) - volume pedals - passive mixer?