Why become a member? ×

Low tuning

ARGH

[quote name='dood' post='424546' date='Mar 3 2009, 09:33 PM']Not that it needs any introduction... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=137"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=137[/url] ;o) But I find the low F# very useful and aurally exciting (??) when those low notes make my Hifi sub sing! - I have played in bands with the same keyboard player for years now. He's an amazing player and really likes to make use of his full range of sounds. Naturally, when he sweeps down in to those sub bass tones, I wanna be there too. It's another reason why I put Doodle together with Jon.

So, yeah.. low F# then![/quote]
F sharp Dood?

You wimp....its sub contra E,B and C sharps now....try lower.

Seriously though,Bill Fitzmaurice himself had a natter about sub cabs to me some months ago,most are badly designed,built,hell,even wrong in their statements about what they do....

Can I ask,is a custom cab worth it?

[quote name='The Funk' post='425717' date='Mar 5 2009, 03:41 AM']Not going to say that noone could find a use for it but I'm not going to bother.

I totally get Dood's comments about not wanting to be outdone in the low notes by a keyboard though![/quote]
You just did :)

But I think this is a ...bit..too far!

[quote name='Toasted' post='424005' date='Mar 3 2009, 11:50 AM']I don't want to bash anyone for anything they choose to do with music.

For me, I'll be playing in standard tuning whatever band I'm in. If the guitarists want to tune down, that's great - but it doens't stop me playing in standard.[/quote]

+1 on that. EADG is where it's at, what ever the guitarist is tuned to.

I did have a bass tuned BEAD for a while but never used it, a waste of a good bass. So now it's back at EADG.

G#? I don't think so.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='426805' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:58 PM']I don't really think going any lower than I am is practical, I flipped the detuner on my p bass down to a G with a .145 at 34", not really useful, maybe if it was 36" scale it might have had some noise.[/quote]
You're gonna need at least a .165 at that note....to be honest .175 still has not got the touch.

[quote name='ARGH' post='424500' date='Mar 3 2009, 08:40 PM']Anyone wanna hear it being played???

[url="http://octave4plus.com/"]http://octave4plus.com/[/url]

Click on custom roundwound strings...scroll to the bottom.[/quote]
I listened to that but either my headphones couldn't reproduce G#00 or my ears don't hear because it appeared not to be there. I could only vaguely hear G#0.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='426809' date='Mar 6 2009, 12:01 AM']I listened to that but either my headphones couldn't reproduce G#00 or my ears don't hear because it appeared not to be there. I could only vaguely hear G#0.[/quote]
Knowing Gerry...it probably was not.

Without going all "Zen" about this (and I've nothing tuned below BEADGC or BEADG), it's all about contrast between low and high.
Just slot the odd[i] low [/i]note into a song, just to remind everyone that they do exist, especially when they're expecting something an octave higher...
Works a treat.
That said, guitarists hate me, and even on a standard tuned IV, I've been dubbed "The frequency stealer" for charging [i]up[/i] the fretboard and getting too close to their range for comfort!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ARGH' post='426806' date='Mar 6 2009, 12:59 AM']Ive convinced the guys Im with to write the next lp in drop A,and write a couple of tunes in B...regular 4ths.[/quote]

The doom metal band I'm playing in on the side has just written a tune in drop A. I have a 4-string that doesn't get much use. Gonna try tuning it in 4ths low A-D-G-C because I don't want to have to bother getting my head round drop fingerings.

I play in a tech metal band, and for most songs they are in standard tuning, but a few are tuned A - A - D - G :rolleyes:

Obviously I realise this might seem like a waste (as two strings are tuned the same), but the contrast between the low A and the rest of the strings sounds beautiful :)

IMO of course :D