Why become a member? ×

Gone deaf in one ear!!

vmaxblues

[quote name='alexclaber' post='424209' date='Mar 3 2009, 03:24 PM']Much less - they are totally flush or even recessed within your ear.

Alex[/quote]

thanks

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='424211' date='Mar 3 2009, 03:25 PM']As far as I'm aware, the ER15/25s won't be any less conspicuous than the ER20s as the only difference is in the attenuation.

If you don't want to look like a knob, what are you doing on a stage? ;) :)[/quote]

:rolleyes: - normally hiding behind our singer

[quote]Seriously, unless you're actually standing right next to someone, I really wouldn't call any of the various options conspicuous and, FWIW, I reckon your hearing is a little more important. :lol:[/quote]

We played the same place a few months ago and i didn't have this problem, for some reason we were a lot louder this time. The ER20's have clear plastic bits that stick out of yer lugs, and on this occasion they would have been noticeable (and the punters would've been asking for some :D )

[quote name='peted' post='424215' date='Mar 3 2009, 03:28 PM']Like someone has already said on here, they do let a bit more bass through than top so I don't need to turn my rig up so loud to hear myself.[/quote]

Or as I prefer to do, turn the bass up as loud as you can get away so you can drown the guitars out :)

I've got the ER20s in blue, which makes them a bit conspicuous, and I've also fitted the connecting cord which is also blue and even more conspicuous. Doesn't bother me a bit, in fact it means people are more likely to ask about them which gives me a chance to recommend them (and hearing protection in general). And the cord also stops me from losing them :)
No earplugs? no comment!

I'm still struggling to appreciate just how conspicuous, from an audience's perspective, something [b]in a bass players ears [/b]could possibly be!!??!!

I struggle to see mine if I look in the dressing room mirror between sets but, as I said, that may be more to do with my eyesight than the undetectability of my ear defenders.

My ER15's are clear which makes then virtually invisible, except I have them connected by a black cord. When people ask I just tell them that I'm listening to Radio 4. If someone thinks I look silly for wearing these, fine. I'm happy that they are going deaf faster than I am!

[quote name='chris_b' post='424444' date='Mar 3 2009, 07:46 PM']My ER15's are clear which makes then virtually invisible, except I have them connected by a black cord. When people ask I just tell them that I'm listening to Radio 4. If someone thinks I look silly for wearing these, fine. I'm happy that they are going deaf faster than I am![/quote]

Can't argue with a single word of that. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys!

So, which would be better, ER15, ER20 or ER25, I have an appointment booked with these guys and I will listen to their advice but I would appreciate your input.

I have had both ears syringed yesterday, and a lot of wax removed, however I have still not got back full hearing in my left ear, it would appear that there is wax in the inner ear, so will have to go back again.

Cheers

Stuart

ER15 are sufficient protection unless you play in a really really loud band. I wear mine for all gigs and rehearsals I play, plus any gigs or club nights I go to. If I lost them (as happened to my first pair years ago) I would replace them immediately, I can't abide loud situations without them. Everything sounds so much better and my ears don't ring afterwards. And it's pretty rare for anyone to notice them.

Alex

Well not to be the voice of doom and gloom but I suddenly lost hearing in my left ear due to labyrinthitis which is a virus that attacks your inner ear. Have you experienced any dizziness?

My left ear is now permanently damaged I can hear bass and some super high end treble but I have a constant ringing in my ear that does not go away when sound is present.

I have had custom molded ear plugs made as I sometime choose to block out the left ear completely while traveling as background noise makes it very difficult to hear anything.

Just make sure you mention this to the doctor and get on steroids asap if he thinks there is even a chance this is what you have as my hearing was returning on it's own then boom another dizzy spell and it was completely damaged permanently.

I hope this hasn't happened to you.

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='424799' date='Mar 4 2009, 09:40 AM']....So, which would be better, ER15, ER20 or ER25, I have an appointment booked with these guys and I will listen to their advice but I would appreciate your input....[/quote]
My experience is with the moulded plugs which are ER9, ER15 and ER25. For me, 9's would not be enough protection and they recommend 25's for Metal drummers! So, for the last 3 years, the ER15's have been just fine for protecting my poor old knackered ears.

Cheers for that.

We are not a mega loud band, but we are a rock covers band at the end of the day, plus our new drummer is a very very loud player, which I think has accelerated the issue for me, and it is no surprise to me that it is my left ear that has the problem, drummers side!

So, it will definately be either ER15,20 or 25.

Cheers

Stuart