Why become a member? ×

converting my deluxe P bass to passive

artisan

hi,i really like my American Deluxe P bass but i'm more of a passive kind of bloke so i wondered how difficult it would be to convert it
into a fully passive bass.
what i had in mind is to bin the preamp & wire the bass up with 1 x volume & 1 x tone for each pickup as there are already 4 pots on the bass.
ala-

would the stock pickups be ok (they are passive i believe) & would this be a fairly simple job to have done ?
cheers guys.

Depends how hot the output of the pickups is on their own!

For example, most Dimarzio pickups for pretty lary as passive-run pickups go, whereas Bartolinis are pretty weak without a preamp. I think your particular situation will just have to be trial-and-error!

Good luck!

Si

wire the pups direct to the jack
one at a time
then you can gauge clean output

if you are happy with them passive...which must be the case as i dont see a pup maker downwinding pups for active applications when the active part really is eq..
then you may have to change pots if the ones on the bass are 25K for active uses

to remove the pots and preamp is a good idea since you leave all the connections in place making a note of where the pups connected

you may want to change the jack so you dont have a batt operated one..

simple is best

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='421819' date='Feb 28 2009, 07:47 PM']I know this model fairly well and confirm the pickups will have a reasonably healthy output for passive performance. If you can carry out the work yourself - fine, but if you need any help and can make it to Newcastle I could do the necessary for a small fee[/quote]

thanks Doc' much appreciated. :)
there is a tech in Harrogate called Andy Eagle is he can't do it or doesn't want to do it i'll fire up the sat nav & give you a call.
you're a gent.

[quote name='gary mac' post='422158' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:44 AM']I've always meant to look into the possibility of installing a switching option to allow passive use on mine. What do you reckon, is it feasible?[/quote]

i thought about that but without the preamp on i don't think you'd be able to adjust any tone settings or even the pickup pan control.

Jon Shuker put a passive switch on my Stingray. He replaced the treble knob with a push/pull knob that when pulled out, the bass was passive and also worked as a tone for the passive mode too. It sounded lovely.

Not sure how he did it as electrics are pretty-much witchcraft to me.

[quote name='robert43' post='422159' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:55 AM']Nice bass by the way & yes direct to out put jack for finding what your pups are likeby them self. To rewire its easy with 4 new pots & 2 caps some wire & solder . I recommend find a wiring dia off SD etc & have a go your self , its not that hard.[/quote]

cheers :) i love this bass it's a real cracker.
i don't think i'd dare do this myself i'll set my bass on fire :rolleyes:

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='423031' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:41 PM']Jon Shuker put a passive switch on my Stingray. He replaced the treble knob with a push/pull knob that when pulled out, the bass was passive and also worked as a tone for the passive mode too. It sounded lovely.

Not sure how he did it as electrics are pretty-much witchcraft to me.[/quote]

lol it should be called electrickery i reckon.

that may be an option though-cheers.

[quote name='artisan' post='423643' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:47 PM'];) i'm begining to think the same way.

btw thats got to be a warwick in you're avatar with a neck like that :rolleyes:[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

10/10 artisan...an early thumb... :D

changed the avatar now but you caught it in time

:)