Why become a member? ×

Your Sound

mcgraham

Classic vintage overdriven all-tube SVT. However, I can't afford the real thing, so I have to make do with a couple of Sansamp VT Bass preamps :/

I'd like a tone identical to Nick Oliveri's during his days in QOTSA, or even the more overdriven tone from the first album. Even though I can pretty much get there with my Sansamps, I have to add a load more treble, because my drummer moans there's not enough definition otherwise ;) It's my own fault really, for starting out in the band with a high-mids/treble-dominated Tool-esque tone.

Oh and a Euro or USA Spector too, I always need one of them for some lovely growly mids.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='420785' date='Feb 27 2009, 12:09 PM']I went to see a blues band last night - the bassist was using a USA Jazz (looked new) straight into an Ashdown Mag 300 head and an Ashdown 4x10 cab. He had the sound I want and at about a quarter of the price of my gear. Really pissed me off.[/quote]

;) My mate owns my old Dolphin Pro 2 bolt-on and Ashdown Klystron 200W combo. I think they cost him £750 total from me. He sounds absolutely amazing....which I seldom do despite having far more expensive gear. Wish I'd never sold 'em (well, apart from the combo which is a bugger to lift when you have back problems).

I adore a smiley face EQ as much as lots of people seem to hate it. I hate the sound of mids, I like a dull, undefined tone, which makes me wonder why on earth I have a Spector and also makes me wonder what bass I should actually be playing. Anyone care to help?

[quote name='OldGit' post='420988' date='Feb 27 2009, 03:13 PM']So the compromise is always what sounds right in the context[/quote]
+1

within my band my lovely deep fat bass sound doesn't work, and i need far more mid and top end than I would like.

[quote name='karlbbb' post='424292' date='Mar 3 2009, 04:38 PM']I adore a smiley face EQ as much as lots of people seem to hate it. I hate the sound of mids, I like a dull, undefined tone, which makes me wonder why on earth I have a Spector and also makes me wonder what bass I should actually be playing. Anyone care to help?[/quote]

Flatwound strings and a piece of foam under the strings by the bridge, then EQ out all the treble and upper mids and most basses should give you what you're looking for - an Epiphone EB-O will do it on the cheap.

[quote name='redstriper' post='424316' date='Mar 3 2009, 04:58 PM']Flatwound strings and a piece of foam under the strings by the bridge, then EQ out all the treble and upper mids and most basses should give you what you're looking for - an Epiphone EB-O will do it on the cheap.[/quote]

How would flats on a jazz/precision sound? If I sold my Spector with little money I could acquire a Squier VM Jazz & Precision (I also want to go back to 4 strings).

[quote name='karlbbb' post='424676' date='Mar 3 2009, 11:55 PM']How would flats on a jazz/precision sound? If I sold my Spector with little money I could acquire a Squier VM Jazz & Precision (I also want to go back to 4 strings).[/quote]

I haven't played any Squiers, but they have some good reviews.
If they're anything like the old Fenders, they'll be good at dub.
I prefer the jazz, but I'm happy with either and heavy gauge flatwounds are a must.
I've heard Labella deep talkin strings are very good, though I've yet to try them.
I think they are also available nylon wound like the rotosound RS66s.
I find new strings take about a year to settle in and really start sounding good after about five years.
:)

Good luck with the journey back to bassics.

[quote name='karlbbb' post='424292' date='Mar 3 2009, 04:38 PM']I adore a smiley face EQ as much as lots of people seem to hate it. I hate the sound of mids, I like a dull, undefined tone, which makes me wonder why on earth I have a Spector and also makes me wonder what bass I should actually be playing. Anyone care to help?[/quote]

In my experience basses that have naturally tight growly aggressive sounds make some of the best reggae basses once you'v e EQ'd out all that midrange and treble. My '87 Warwick Streamer which is very midrangey does excellent dub tones with the onboard EQ skewed to max bottom whilst the all graphite and EMG'd Steinberger is very popular with reggae players. Basses that have naturally woolier wider sounds can get too boomy once the midrange is removed.

Also, before you change the strings, try muting with your palm whilst thumb plucking. Or pluck up by the end of the neck and whilst muting with your fretting hand.

Alex

Well, I was pleased with my sound, then I watched an episode of Moses Jones last night, where the band from Uganda were playing. Couldn’t quite see what the bass was, but from the fleeting glimpses I saw, it looked like a sunburst jazz with a tort pickguard and a rosewood neck. Anyway, the sound was rich, deep, velvety bass with virtually no treble at all. Totally unsuited to anything we play really, but I loved it.

Next thing you know, I was having a listen to Little Axe’s Hard Grind album and it was the same kind of thing. The whole album is dripping with very low bass. Not played too hard, not over stated, just THERE, filling the space. Fantastic. Track 1 & 2 were the best , with Skip MacDonald on bass, but even track 3 with Doug Wimbish sounded awesome. I tried playing along, but there’s no way that sound came from a 4 string. Then I remembered there’s a 5 sting Wimbish signature Ibanez around...

Can see the band liking it much, but for my own pleasure to jam along to some reggae and Wobble, sheer joy.

More often than not I'm direct into a laptop via a whole load of effects pedals, one of which has a custom "punchy" set up on it, and I have touch of Chorus and a bit of reverb.
Through an amp - bass about half, mid up 100%, treble about half-ish, I have a "bright" setting so that's usually set fairly high too.
Bass - Ibanez is active so neck and bridge at detente, bass all the way up, volume up; Aria = passive so neck up, tone up, bridge down.

Or something like that - I don't slavishly try to copy someone else's sound. Most of the time my playing run through a huge ocean of effects anyway so I need something reasonably distinct to start with so I dont lose it...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='420138' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:15 PM']Bass tones that get me excited are the likes of Willie Weeks on Donny Hathaway Live, Jamerson of tons of Motown (though sometimes he's too low in the mix), Jaco on Invitation (midrangey but still BIG!), Family Man on every Wailers album, Larry Graham on anything, Geezer Butler on early Sabbath. Thick and fat and big. Something punchy, sometimes deep, sometimes greasy, sometimes gnarly. No EQ needed, the pickup switch, passive tone and my hands are more than enough. I never plug in at home but every gig and recording session I get the tone I want so I must be doing something right! :)

Alex[/quote]

Sounds like i might like your cabs! I like fat, deep, not too woolly i need a bit of definition with smooth top end, sometimes a bit of warmth up to mild overdrive.

I have an Ibanez artcore ASB 140 strung with Ernie ball flats .40-.100 Once i fit a darkstar it will be ideal for what i am looking for, The other part of the equation will be here soon Peds old Trace V4 all valve combo is coming to live with me. The thing i am unsure about is an extension cab, part of me says just get another 15" cab, another say get a full range cab like Alex's latest offerings and EQ out any excessive mids and top when i need to.

So big fat and punchy, no FX, amp set up just shy of overdriving, when i hit my bright but not too zingy flats i get some grit. Think eric wilson, jack casady and a hint of JJ