Why become a member? ×

warwick corvette proline

stubarura

anybody heard of one? it has the single coil neck pup like a passive corvette but also has a humbucker at the bridge.... its passive/active and i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these basses...... it has a bubinga body, are these expensive/cheap to buy new in comparison to the regular models?

cheers

*update*

looks like its a lemon, from what ive gathered from people who ive shown the pics to it seems like its a standard corvette thats been re routed to take a humbucker pup.... anyways heres a pic, you can see the routing if you look closely:

[url="http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj62/stubarura/7248_3.jpg"]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj62/stubarura/7248_3.jpg[/url]

I was puzzled when I read your first post but when I've seen the pic you hit the nail on the head it's a modded bass NOT factory.

That's not to say it won't be a half decent bass 'for the right money', certainly a step up from any of the Rockbasses but I'm not so impressed with the positioning of the extra control. Oh and why is the neck pup installed the wrong way around? It doesn't make any difference tonally but the wires will have to run the length (width) of the pup before going out of the rout and it just looks wrong! ;)

dunno why the j pup has been turned upside down, the bass is £350, ive asked the seller for some detailed photos as im not sure if i still want it because it was advertised as a proline not a modded standard, anyways the guy is being a bit arsey so its probably best i just pull out of the deal cos if i travel the 5hr journey to pick it up and it turns out to be a pile of crap i will end up with a sore knuckle for sure

[quote name='stubarura' post='416585' date='Feb 22 2009, 12:44 PM']dunno why the j pup has been turned upside down, the bass is £350, ive asked the seller for some detailed photos as im not sure if i still want it because it was advertised as a proline not a modded standard, anyways the guy is being a bit arsey so its probably best i just pull out of the deal cos if i travel the 5hr journey to pick it up and it turns out to be a pile of crap i will end up with a sore knuckle for sure[/quote]

I agree that if he's pratting about and the bass isn't on the doorstep (and cheap), I'd not bother.

re. the Proline / Standard - Though not an expert on the BO Corvette range, I think effectively the only difference is that the Proline was an active Corvette that was discontinued. The Standard is their starter Corvette but is passive. If the guy has turned the bass active then it would essentially be a Proline BUT at the end of the day it is a modded bass so is only worth what someone is prepared to pay. Just out of interest what are 'unmodded' Proline's going for?

IIRC (and it was a while ago...) Aren't the Prolines Swamp Ash bodied with 5pc laminated Maple necks (Still a Wenge 'board)
I really dont' know if they were NT or BO though.
Going Googling...

Edit - They're nearly all stained in the usual Warwick colours;
Ocean Blue
Emerald Green
Honey Violin
Tobacco
Nirvana Black
That Purple colour
Some shade of red...

Still editing - Predominantly with gold hardware, too.
Definitely active, controls in the normal active corvette layout.
Looks like they're all BO, too.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='machinehead' post='418755' date='Feb 24 2009, 09:08 PM']I went to look at a Proline to buy privately.
It was bolt-on, bubinga body and two J pickups and [u]passive[/u].

The trussrod cover said "Proline". Year was 1995 IIRC. It all looked as it left the factory to me anyway.

Price was £250 if that's any help.

Frank[/quote]

I didn't know they did a passive proline. £250 was a really good price if it was a proline - I take it you didn't buy though?

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='418759' date='Feb 24 2009, 09:15 PM']I didn't know they did a passive proline. £250 was a really good price if it was a proline - I take it you didn't buy though?[/quote]

I didn't buy it and maybe I was wrong. I was suspicious about some cracking at the headstock, the set-up was so bad that the strings were lying on the fretboard along the full length and it had been sitting below someone painting the wall and had white paint on it.

All in all, I was put off. Thinking about it, I could have cleaned it up and adjusted the truss rod but at the time I just decided not to bother. Price was good, I think.

Frank

I had a Proline 6-string years ago, bought it used in 96 or 97. It had a white maple body (unfinished), and a maple/wenge laminate neck, gold hardware, bart soapbars and it was active. It was serial #000014 (didn't even have to write that one down).

Neck had to be replaced in the end. Truss rod went - apparently the necks with maple laminates weren't stiff enough for the six strings or something, so Warwick fitted a new bubinga/wenge neck gratis and sent me a bunch of freebies, gigbag, strings, wax, etc. (bless 'em!). It was a shame though, the maple neck suited it better.