Why become a member? ×

Give me some songs to learn

waynepunkdude

[quote name='silddx' post='415137' date='Feb 20 2009, 11:42 AM']Great number!

I am perfectly happy to play along with Wrapped Around Your Finger all day and night. I adore that bassline.[/quote]

I'm in a Police tribute band so we play em all but Wrapped is also one of my faves too. ;)

[quote name='basswesty' post='415171' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:05 PM']I'm in a Police tribute band so we play em all but Wrapped is also one of my faves too. ;)[/quote]

Do you play the album version or one of his live versions? He plays it very differently on each live recording, I really like the Atlanta Synchronicity Concert version. Do you drop D or maybe you have a 5 string. I love playing it on a fretless, on headphones along with the record, with the lights off.

Have you heard/seen the version on the new Certifiable DVD? Glorious!

[quote name='JohnSlade07' post='415189' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:24 PM']Bit of Jamerson - For Once In My Life, Bernadette, I Was Made To Love Her. I've recently spent many happy hours murdering the first of those.[/quote]

just going through a "[i]jamerson phase[/i]" myself

just learnt bernadette, reachout (i`ll be there), and standing in the shadows of love

great bass lines ;)

[quote name='silddx' post='415348' date='Feb 20 2009, 02:33 PM']Do you play the album version or one of his live versions? He plays it very differently on each live recording, I really like the Atlanta Synchronicity Concert version. Do you drop D or maybe you have a 5 string. I love playing it on a fretless, on headphones along with the record, with the lights off.

Have you heard/seen the version on the new Certifiable DVD? Glorious![/quote]

I did a bit of a mixture of the Atlanta version and the album version, in other words its the Atlanta version with a dropped D. I just thought it sounded nicer dropping to D. Its really nice to sing too.

How about a little Sublime? this could be up your street [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WBttO4UzSw"]"Date Rape"[/url] Plenty of other classics to choose from as well.

So many great tunes listed here already - I'd learn them all! In the true spirit of Motown Friday, I'd recommend anything by Stevie Wonder, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye etc etc etc, the list goes on!

Particular favourite

If you come from a punk background (which I know you do!), it'll expand your playing repertoire beyond belief when you learn some of these sorts of stuff. Syncopated, non-root based playing at it's best.

[quote name='acidbass' post='415814' date='Feb 20 2009, 09:46 PM']So many great tunes listed here already - I'd learn them all! In the true spirit of Motown Friday, I'd recommend anything by Stevie Wonder, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye etc etc etc, [u][b]the list goes on![/b][/u][/quote]

Shouldn't that be the Beat not the List lol

... yeah mines the bomber jacket 3rd from the left cheers

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='415004' date='Feb 20 2009, 08:54 AM']Damn now I have loads to learn ;)

I just tried Vital Signs, was expecting it to be really hard but it's quite straightforward.[/quote]

Fancy a challenge, try YYZ