Why become a member? ×

Jazz tuner question

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='414210' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:17 PM']I just noticed the tuners on my 1992 MIM Jazz are Schaller , is that right or have they been added later?[/quote]

I believe the ones stamped 'Fender' were for many years actually Schallers but re-badged (in order to increase their Ebay value 10-fold)

[quote name='joe_bass' post='414275' date='Feb 19 2009, 02:10 PM']They wouldn't put stamped ones on a MIM though would they?[/quote]

I doubt it. I bought some tuners advertised as genuine Fender (presumably MIM type) and they were neither Fender nor Schaller stamped. They had nasty sharp edges compared to any Fender, Schaller or Gotoh P type tuners I've ever seen.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='414275' date='Feb 19 2009, 02:10 PM']They wouldn't put stamped ones on a MIM though would they?[/quote]

They do put stamped tuners on some MIMs. The classic range for instance. They have the same tuners as MIA reissues.

The stock blank MIMs are the same tuners you get on Highway 1's

[quote name='bremen' post='414278' date='Feb 19 2009, 02:15 PM']I doubt it. I bought some tuners advertised as genuine Fender ([b]presumably MIM type[/b]) and they were neither Fender nor Schaller stamped. They had nasty sharp edges compared to any Fender, Schaller or Gotoh P type tuners I've ever seen.[/quote]

Perhaps they weren't Fenders at all?