Why become a member? ×

'Ray let me down.

lee4

[quote name='dougal' post='409776' date='Feb 14 2009, 11:19 PM']I'd agree that the SR's 'just' an iterative improvement on the precision[/quote]
As far as I´m concerned, nothing to date has been an improvement on the almighty Precision. It´s just the best bass there is. ;)

Seriously - MMs are great, I never cared for the Status look, to each their own, YMMV, it´s all a matter of taste.

For someone to state they have been "let down" by a bass because they prefer a different sound is a bit silly though IMO...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='409272' date='Feb 14 2009, 10:15 AM']Once you're used to the feel, response & sound of graphite, wood just doesn't seem to cut it anymore. The only wooden basses I've found recently that I really like the sound of have been my two Corvette $$'s, my current and long standing Yamaha TRB-6 II & a couple of Sadowskys.[/quote]

This is entirely subjective. I've owned 4 Statii over a period of years and have found they do it for me less than any other basses I've owned. I love the necks but for me they've just sounded all wrong (and I won't get onto the ergonomics). Tried a couple in the Gallery the other week to see if it was still true and it was even more so.

[quote name='dougal' post='409776' date='Feb 14 2009, 10:19 PM']I've had two EBMM - an SR4 that is my main bass, and a bongo 5.

I'd agree that the SR's 'just' an iterative improvement on the precision: but that doesn't stop me from loving it long time.

I can't comment on the status: I've only ever played them in music shops & without trying a bass in a band situation I don't really feel qualified to comment.

What I can't understand is why everyone complains about the weight: mine is noticeably lighter than a jazz and with a 4" strap on (hehehe, I said 4" strap-on) I can happily play through a 4-hour rehearsal. (Mind you, I was a prop forward and still weight train so maybe I'm built slightly more brick-outhouse than the average bear?!?)

I think what I'm trying to say is that I like my 'ray*.

[size=1](* I am still searching for the perfect bass)[/size][/quote]

Stingrays (like many other basses) vary a lot in weight. My mate has one that's reasonably light. I had one on long term loan that was quite a bit heavier, and I've played a few that weighed a ton.

Edited by 4000

I try modern top end basses now and again - Statuses (Statii?) included - and whilst I admire them hugely I'm never drawn to them enough to own one. I guess I go more for vintage gear as (1) I tend to play more retro material (punk, classic rock and funk, R&;) for which an old Rick or Gibson just feels so "right", and (2) I tend to want the basses I wanted during my formative bass years - same goes for cars and motorbikes. That's a personal choice, and I know there are guys older than me who would never change their modern Foderas and Vigiers and Statuses etc; likewise for amplification.
What I wouldn't argue with is that used to be far more utter dross about say 20 years ago there is now, but only the best and collectable tend to survive. Also modern pick-ups and circuitry are undeniably better; my '73 Precision loaded with modern P & J Lindy Fralins is to me the best of both worlds, and I have yet to try a fretless of ANY age or price range that compares for tone or sheer playability.
To get back to the OP; remember the MM Stingray was really the first ever mass produced active bass, and a huge leap forward (although not an improvement on the Precision - just different). As such it was a fairly crude bass with definite limitations, but think of the classic tracks laid down by players like Bernard Edwards, John Deacon, and of course Pino - just unimprovable.
My 30 year old Ovation has a partially graphite neck - but not enough to spoil the tone of the wood :P

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='409868' date='Feb 15 2009, 07:24 AM']As far as I´m concerned, nothing to date has been an improvement on the almighty Precision. It´s just the best bass there is. ;)

Seriously - MMs are great, I never cared for the Status look, to each their own, YMMV, it´s all a matter of taste.

For someone to state they have been "let down" by a bass because they prefer a different sound is a bit silly though IMO...[/quote]
Let down refers to the percieved expectation of a supposidly 'quality' bass with a sound to match,
like driving a Porche and finding out you prefer a Nissan Micra!

[quote name='josh3184' post='409711' date='Feb 14 2009, 09:07 PM']most gear can be dissapointing if you're searching for a tone that just can't be replicated. Like others have aid, horses for courses, some people love a tone whilst others will hate it. I personally love MM but I can completely understand why others might not!

Saying that the Warwick $$ is the perfect bass for any player.[/quote]
Any bass player with a spine made of steel perhaps!

[quote name='4000' post='410035' date='Feb 15 2009, 01:21 PM']This is entirely subjective. I've owned 4 Statii over a period of years and have found they do it for me less than any other basses I've owned. I love the necks but for me they've just sounded all wrong (and I won't get onto the ergonomics). Tried a couple in the Gallery the other week to see if it was still true and it was even more so.[/quote]

That's interesting - Perhaps it's your ears? Or perhaps a different style sounding amplifier you use? I have to admit that when I took some basses to Barrie's [molan's] house a few weeks back, my Groove 5 sounded absolutely awful through his valve rig. I was actually worried I'd bought a clonker, but it sounded totally different [and a lot better] through all of my gear when I got home.

Rich.