Why become a member? ×

Online Jamming

thebrig

Me and my mate (guitarist) have been wanting to jam together over the internet for some time, so with the present crisis we are all in, now would be a good time to seriously look into the options.

Have anyone tried using JamKazam or Jammr for example?

I know latency problems can be a major drawback, but if we are connected directly into the router with an ethernet cable, would it work ok?

I have interfaces and know how to record onto my laptop etc, but my mate doesn't, I know he will invest in an interface if we can jam together from home without too many problems, so just wondering if any of you B/C'ers can give some advice please.

Cheers

Steve Lawson wrote a brilliant blog about live streaming the other day. That might be useful for you. Skype can be ok, but it’s often very glitchy, though we’re starting to use Skype for business for tutorials at my university from next week, hopefully that’s better. Here’s a link to Steve’s blog. https://www.stevelawson.net/blog/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried Jammr and JamKazam.

I have a direct connection to the router via an ethernet cable.  Both were very laggy indeed.  It wasn't milliseconds more like seconds.  Now neither of my fellow musicians had ethernet connections so that could be the problem.

Both sets of software are poor.  The JamKazam is absolutely dreadful in my humble view.  See if you can get it working without swearing and wondering why didn't they make it simpler?

Great idea, I've yet to see it work.  I've looked at Lawson's blog but this is about gigs online rather than playing with yer chums.

Peace

Davo

19 hours ago, ambient said:

NinJam apparently works really well. It’s part of Reaper.

Having just watched a few video's on YouTube about NinJam, that looks really interesting, I use Reaper a lot so I might spend some time trying to get my head around it, thanks for the head's up. 👍

1 hour ago, thebrig said:

Having just watched a few video's on YouTube about NinJam, that looks really interesting, I use Reaper a lot so I might spend some time trying to get my head around it, thanks for the head's up. 👍

My friend used it to jam with a jazz trio, and was quite pleased with the results. It does take a bit of setting up, but I think they all do.

8 minutes ago, Davo-London said:

Ninjam looks horribly complicated.  Has anyone actually used it?

Davo

My friend used it last week for a jam with his jazz trio. He said it worked really well. They’re all apparently much of a muchness with regard to setup, once it’s setup though, that’s it, you don’t have to keep setting it up each time you use it.