Why become a member? ×

akai deep impact

Kev

After some experimentation today, I've come to the following conclusion:

My passive basses work better with my Deep Impact.

My Deep Impact works with my active Fender, but some settings go a bit funny with it. Tried it with my Rick4003 and passive jazz and it was happy to oblige.

I also made my own preset when used with an overdrive, provides a very close "Hysteria" tone :)

Hm, I have a fulltone bassdrive, a sansamp and an xxl distortion, so I think I can get close. I had my deep impact for sale, but this thread made me change my mind, I want to exxperiment more with settings and also test it with the new pedals i got (the sansamp and xxl).

[quote name='BassManKev' post='6168' date='May 24 2007, 11:49 PM']could you post that hysteria setting? i wont use it as i use a fuzz probe, but im just curious as i cant get a sound like it[/quote]

Maybe as you previosuly thought: your Deep Impact is broken? :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='6178' date='May 25 2007, 12:11 AM']Maybe as you previosuly thought: your Deep Impact is broken? :)[/quote]
or maybe you'll realise that hysteria is not played by a bass its played by a synthesizer, not a pedal :huh:

[quote name='BassManKev' post='6207' date='May 25 2007, 01:12 AM']or maybe you'll realise that hysteria is not played by a bass its played by a synthesizer, not a pedal :)[/quote]

Isn't it both?

Bass and Synth.

[quote name='Ant' post='6214' date='May 25 2007, 01:19 AM']Isn't it both?

Bass and Synth.[/quote]

the actuall song was recorded by a roland synthesizer, cant think of the model right now.

there may well be clean bass over the top too, not in the intro but certainly in the verse

live, the synth is also playing, and chris plays clean bass over the top

the akai deep impact certainly isnt involved anyways, you wiki believers :)

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='6207' date='May 25 2007, 01:12 AM']or maybe you'll realise that hysteria is not played by a bass its played by a synthesizer, not a pedal :)[/quote]

[quote name='BassManKev' post='6217' date='May 25 2007, 01:24 AM']the actuall song was recorded by a roland synthesizer, cant think of the model right now.

there may well be clean bass over the top too, not in the intro but certainly in the verse

live, the synth is also playing, and chris plays clean bass over the top

the akai deep impact certainly isnt involved anyways, you wiki believers :huh:[/quote]

Kev - it is you who is getting a little confused between Hysteria and Time Is Running Out.

Time Is Running Out is multi tracked. The main track is a Roland JP-8000 synthesiser triggered by one of Chris' Bass Collection bases. Over-layered over that are bass riffs with different blends of amp and pedal distortion. The pedal distortion is blends of Sovtek Muff and Human Gear Animato.

Hysteria [b]IS[/b] one of Chris’ Pedulla Rapture SB’s into one of his Deep Impacts into a Human Gear Animato. The album version is the same effected riff layered twice, with a final layer of clean bass.

I know this from personal conversations with MUSE, and Hugh Manson.

BTW: Kudos to you for being member 123. The only better number is 69. Or *maybe* 696

Edited by Toasted

Whilst I think on, because I'm helpful and nice like that:

You're playing a stingray/stringray clone in your avatar. If it's that that you're using to trigger your Deep Impact you're probably not triggering it to it's full effect. The Deep Impact tracks best on a neck pickup.

Both the Deep Impacts that I've had have needed a firmware upgrade. This cost me £80 each time from the UK Akai repair centre.

They needed this because the effect started becoming more subtle - because the onboard DSP was degrading through over-editing the patches.

On another the capacitor associated with the paramater select knob needed replacing because it broke.

I'm not as stupid as I look, and strangely do know [i]just a little bit[/i] about effects :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='6240' date='May 25 2007, 03:24 AM']

Kev - it is you who is getting a little confused between Hysteria and Time Is Running Out.

Time Is Running Out is multi tracked. The main track is a Roland JP-8000 synthesiser triggered by one of Chris' Bass Collection bases. Over-layered over that are bass riffs with different blends of amp and pedal distortion. The pedal distortion is blends of Sovtek Muff and Human Gear Animato.

Hysteria [b]IS[/b] one of Chris’ Pedulla Rapture SB’s into one of his Deep Impacts into a Human Gear Animato. The album version is the same effected riff layered twice, with a final layer of clean bass.

I know this from personal conversations with MUSE, and Hugh Manson.

BTW: Kudos to you for being member 123. The only better number is 69. Or *maybe* 696[/quote]

But I thought he used 7 Big Muffs! :)

Just for people who still like arguing over the point of Time Is Running Out:

[b]How did you get the bass sound on that track(TIRO)?[/b]
[i]It's a bit of a cheat really![/i]
[b]
Your secret is safe with me..[/b]
[i]We tried for ages to get the right bass sound. Some of the things we tried were quite ridiculous. We tried flangers, acoustic basses, dubbing with phasers, you name it, but it still wasn't happening. One day Matt was fooling around with a JP 8000 synth and started getting this portamento vibe going (mimes track intro). So we recorded that and I put down a horrendously subby bassline using the pedulla and when we put them together it made a weird, buzzy,disgusting kinda noise and that's what we used.[/i]
[b]
What do you do about that live?[/b]
[i]I play the line over the top of a synth backing track.[/i]

Don't really know about Hysteria but as Toasted does own/has owned a Deep Impact and an Animato, I'd be inclined to believe him.

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='Waldo' post='6348' date='May 25 2007, 11:06 AM'][b]
What do you do about that live?[/b]
[i]I play the line over the top of a synth backing track.[/i][/quote]
as i said, thats what he does, along with hysteria

[quote name='BassManKev' post='6357' date='May 25 2007, 11:11 AM']as i said, thats what he does, along with hysteria[/quote]

I'm going to be the bigger man here and take the moral high ground:

Think what you want, it's not important to me. :)

Hehe, that's funny.

Q: Why do you think that?

A: 'Cos Muse told me personally

R: Yeah, well, me and some friends think something else.

This might be a basic thing to check, if you haven't already: the Mix/Blend function on the Deep Impact. I have mine set all the way so that there's no original bass sound and only generated synth sound.

The more you've got the mix/blend going the other way, the more subtle the effect will be.