Why become a member? ×

NBD: '81 Washburn SB-40 fretless (thanks to Andy Travis and Bassassin)

Beedster

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Blimey - didn't realise it was the exact same bass as @Beedster's. Clearly these are like buses, you don't see one for 35 years then two come along at once...

So yes, everything I said about the other one applies to yours - made by Yamaki Gakki, looks like '81 from the serial. Original components on yours, shame about the broken tuner but the modern equivalent Gotoh would be a drop-in replacement.

Is the damage at the back of the neck just cosmetic? Apart from that it does look to be in pretty decent original condition, from what I can see.

Slight correction John, Owy's doesn't have the DAFA switch evident on my ex :)

16 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Slight correction John, Owy's doesn't have the DAFA switch evident on my ex :)

Never noticed that on yours! I'm 99.9999% sure that's a mod - it's not on Bathiki's or my (slightly later fretted) bass. I assume if it "Does F*** All" it's not wired in, I'd guess it was a phase switch for the P pickup.

1 minute ago, Bassassin said:

Never noticed that on yours! I'm 99.9999% sure that's a mod - it's not on Bathiki's or my (slightly later fretted) bass. I assume if it "Does F*** All" it's not wired in, I'd guess it was a phase switch for the P pickup.

Appears to have been original going on the wiring, which was of a very good quality I might add, with a rather substantial metal plate over the whole thing. Yep, I think it was a phase switch, difference was subtle, hard to tell if it was a DAFA or a proper old school DFA unless you really listened :) 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Grahambythesea said:

Interesting positions of pickups. The P looks quite a long way forward whilst the J is well close to the bridge.  Judging by the sound of it on Graceland they are in a great position, brrrp,  brrrp brrrp, as it goes!

He was using it a few years ago (maybe Hyde Park) as well as an Elrick or something modern.

He’s changed the pickups and hardware out for black stuff and Aguilar.

But sure enough, that first note of Graceland “Burrrowwwwwwwwwm” Fit.

• Like 1