Why become a member? ×

What's it worth

Monz

A pal of mine from Bolton or should that be "bulton" has an old 73 Fender Jazz and as he is not that savy with t'internet forums has asked me if I will put some piccys up of said bass and ask the Font of All Knowledge if they have any idea of it's value.

Just to add to this, although it only has 4 strings and it is a Fender I still think this bass is gorgeous to play... That's it I'm out of the closet now!

[attachment=19912:jazz_1.jpg]

[attachment=19913:jazz_2.jpg]

[attachment=19914:jazz_3.jpg]

[attachment=19915:jazz_4.jpg]

[attachment=19916:jazz_5.jpg]

Thanks for taking the time to look

it either falls into the category of 'relic' on which i would pass
or
a collectable piece
i couldnt value it but see it as an open market auction piece...
see what its worth in the states and apply our rip off conversion rates..nothing to do with forex..and that might give an idea of its worth

or look here

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Fender/Electric-Basses/item/4082"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/o...asses/item/4082[/url]

i suspect a touch over £2000 might get some takers...

Thanks for your help so far guys... have pasted all the replies into an email and forwarded them onto Steve.

If anyone is interested in talking to the owner shoot me a PM and I will put you in touch, as I said I'm just the messenger on this one

If the electrics are all original in this condition expect to get £1500, end of last year you may have got £1800 to £2000. However the body looks more misused than reliced, it would be very difficult to damage almost every edge of the guitar!

I think this would be one case where a refin is justified, as it would look better but would not alter the value that much!

There's mojo and there's damage , I think. In this case my very humble opinion is the amount of finish loss would detract from it's desirablilty and therefore it's value.

Current climate - ignoring the telephone numbers at vintage and rare - if I'd saved £1500 to get the ideal 73 Jazz for me and had def. got to have one .......I'd try for £850 to £900 and be satisfied happy if I got it for a few quid either side of a grand.
Under those circs I think I'd be tempted to wait and spend the lot on one less battered.

Other hypothetical opinions are available.

If seller and buyer are happy that's all that matters.

Something that's not hypothetical - several years ago I managed £1800 on a 69 Jazz that was vandalised compared to this. Grateful as I was I thought whoever bought it (commission sale through V and R) was a fool. He'd have done a lot better , I feel , if Ebay and Basschat had been around then. I'd bought it only a few months earlier for £600.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='408701' date='Feb 13 2009, 03:39 PM']No, no, no.[/quote]

Before

[attachment=20250:Basses_f...sale_002.jpg]

After

[attachment=20251:DSC02345.JPG]

Just my opinion but I prefer my 59 how it looks now than before when it was minus paint. My feelings are the same about that Jazz, nice looking Bass but somehow it looks like someone decided to "relic it" in a very unnatural way. With a bit of careful restoration it could look even nicer!

[quote name='sixshooter' post='408761' date='Feb 13 2009, 04:25 PM']Before

After

Just my opinion but I prefer my 59 how it looks now than before when it was minus paint. My feelings are the same about that Jazz, nice looking Bass but somehow it looks like someone decided to "relic it" in a very unnatural way. With a bit of careful restoration it could look even nicer![/quote]

I'm guessing (from the thumb print) but I take it the 'arm wear' etc was part of the restoration rather than natural wear since a complete re-finish. I've never seen that before (to my knowledge - I probably have and not known it). Very interesting.

I agree it looks better than it did sans paint.

Thumb wear is original, as are a number of other wear marks. As there was no paint left on it all paint wear has been done sympathetically by the Luthier.

It still has its crack in the headstock by the E tuner, and there is wear on the back. The neck has genuine dirt and wear from 50 years of playing, half a century old this year!

After

Just my opinion but I prefer my 59 how it looks now than before when it was minus paint. My feelings are the same about that Jazz, nice looking Bass but somehow it looks like someone decided to "relic it" in a very unnatural way. With a bit of careful restoration it could look even nicer![/quote]

When are you going on Holiday next Steve?

[quote name='sixshooter' post='408783' date='Feb 13 2009, 04:43 PM']Thumb wear is original, as are a number of other wear marks. As there was no paint left on it all paint wear has been done sympathetically by the Luthier.

It still has its crack in the headstock by the E tuner, and there is wear on the back. The neck has genuine dirt and wear from 50 years of playing, half a century old this year![/quote]

Mmmmm.. Lovely. That's a fantastic restoration job - I don't think that could have been done any better. Can I ask who did the work for you?

After

If something has been refinned once, then sure, do it again.

But any refin on a vintage bass in my mind is a bad idea. I just think you shouldn't f*** with things.

Nick, I know where you live. If it goes missing your the first one I will call on ;)

Work was done by Joe White, a very talented man who is in the process of turning a 51 butterscotch P into a 55 sonic blue for me...

WOT and BBC, I knew this would have many different views which is why I posted, each to their own.

At the end of the day I hope whoever owns it gets a fair price and the Bass gets a loving home!