Why become a member? ×

Fretless Gus G3

BigRedX

This turned up on Tuesday. My new Gus G3 4-string fretless bass in bright chrome and dark blue sparkle finish and herer are some better photos taken using natural light:

Sound-wise I've only been able to try it through my studio monitors (Tannoy Golds) via my BassPod so far, but there's lots of tonal variation with the PU switching and the active 3 band pre. Goes from rich and deep and dubby without any mud on both pups in series, through to a great mwah with the bridge pups solo'd. Can't wait to try it though my rig...

Edited by BigRedX

Alpha-Dave, AFAIK all the Gus instruments have a Cedar core. Some of the more recent ones (in paticular the G1 10 guitar) have a carbon weave finish, but it's still a skin only. There's a [url="http://www.gusguitars.com/tour.php"]workshop tour[/url] on the Gus site which explains his construction technique, plus more info in a recent article in recent Guitar and Bass Magazine where Simon explains the changes he's made to the production process since the site tour. Simon makes all the parts himself except for the machine heads, strap buttons, frets and electronc components. The bridge is a wonderful design and the vibrato one on the guitar is very smooth and stable.

I've been interested in the instruments Simon produces as Gus Guitars since I saw pictures of his prototypes in the musical instrument mags in the mid to late 80s. I'm now fortunate enough to be the owner of three - this fretless, a 5-string fretted bass and a G1 vibrato guitar.

I like my instruments to be visually impactful as well as playing and sounding great, that's why I'm also GASing for a Basslab, and a Spalt Hybrid as well as looking for the opportunity to try out some of the more weird and wonderful basses and guitars that I've seen on various luthiers' web sites.

steve-soar, glad you like it! Can't have enough of the shiny! Have I tempted you into ordering for one yourself though?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='42702' date='Aug 8 2007, 12:03 AM']This turned up today. My new Gus G3 4-string fretless bass in bright chrome and dark blue sparkle finish:

Sorry about the quality of the images. I'll try and take some betterones in the week when I can use some natural light rather than the nasty flash on my camera, but I just wanted to show off my lovely new bass.

Sound-wise I've only been able to try it through my studio monitors (Tannoy Golds) via my BassPod so far, but there's lots of tonal variation with the PU switching and the active 3 band pre. Goes from rich and deep and dubby without any mud on both pups in series, through to a great mwah with the bridge pups solo'd. Can't wait to try it though my rig...[/quote]

Absolutely stunning looking bass! Looks a bit like a prop from the film Barbarella (which is a good thing)....I can't play fretless at all but looking at your bass makes me want to have a try at it, something I should have done years ago really.

Anyway, as I say amazing looking bass!

Nik

Thanks silverfoxnik,

I like the futuristic vibe too. I only started playing fretless 2 years ago, but now I only use fretted bass on about a quarter of the songs my band plays. For me there's something more "tactile" and expressive about playing without frets. Give it a go. You can get a Squire VMF Jazz for around £200 which is an excellent bass to try it out on.

With my two Gus basses I've got most of my low-end options covered:

And of course I could always add a bit of guitar with my Gus G1 Vibrato!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='44482' date='Aug 12 2007, 04:16 PM']Thanks silverfoxnik,

I like the futuristic vibe too. I only started playing fretless 2 years ago, but now I only use fretted bass on about a quarter of the songs my band plays. For me there's something more "tactile" and expressive about playing without frets. Give it a go. You can get a Squire VMF Jazz for around £200 which is an excellent bass to try it out on.

With my two Gus basses I've got most of my low-end options covered:

And of course I could always add a bit of guitar with my Gus G1 Vibrato!

[/quote]
That's a serious looking collection!! The design is very clever too; like the input at the back..

Yep, I know I should have a go at fretless and to hear that it's become you main instrument after just 2 years is amazing.. Food for thought, definitely..

Nik

I think the switch to fretless was very much helped by the style of music of the band I'd just joined. I started with me hearing a much more fluid style than I was getting from my fretted Gus on a couple of songs, and then once I'd got into the posibilities of not having any frets it just took off. The first gig I did, I only played fretless on one song. The next time I was playing half fretless, half fretted. Now it's only the 4 or so uptempo rocky songs where I tend to play chords and use a pick that are played on the fretted bass.

parker_muse, thanks for the kind words - the current list price for a Gus G3 bass is around £3000 depending on which options you choose. Not cheap. but like the Sei Basses worth every penny. A great sounding and playing instrument with a unique visual identity.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='43030' date='Aug 8 2007, 07:57 PM']Alpha-Dave, AFAIK all the Gus instruments have a Cedar core. Some of the more recent ones (in paticular the G1 10 guitar) have a carbon weave finish, but it's still a skin only. There's a [url="http://www.gusguitars.com/tour.php"]workshop tour[/url] on the Gus site which explains his construction technique, plus more info in a recent article in recent Guitar and Bass Magazine where Simon explains the changes he's made to the production process since the site tour. Simon makes all the parts himself except for the machine heads, strap buttons, frets and electronc components. The bridge is a wonderful design and the vibrato one on the guitar is very smooth and stable.

I've been interested in the instruments Simon produces as Gus Guitars since I saw pictures of his prototypes in the musical instrument mags in the mid to late 80s. I'm now fortunate enough to be the owner of three - this fretless, a 5-string fretted bass and a G1 vibrato guitar.

I like my instruments to be visually impactful as well as playing and sounding great, that's why I'm also GASing for a Basslab, and a Spalt Hybrid as well as looking for the opportunity to try out some of the more weird and wonderful basses and guitars that I've seen on various luthiers' web sites.

steve-soar, glad you like it! Can't have enough of the shiny! Have I tempted you into ordering for one yourself though?[/quote]
A bit too rich for my blood, at 3k.

Very interesting design. I met the chap who makes these at the LGS a few years ago and got playing one of his basses through his demo amp. I was there for a long time just chatting to him about all things bass - lovely bloke and the bass sounded really cool. I think the one I played had a white sparkle finish, possibly with some 'graffiti' kind of graphics on it? Obviously the crowd were lovin it.