Why become a member? ×

New beginnings

Lozz196

So after having had to leave my band at the end of 2019 due to it taking its toll on me I have a new venture. A group of mates have a jam session every other week and they’ve asked me to join in - as it’s not a band in the traditional sense, as in no gigging, no recording it’s ideal for me, it’s a laugh, we meet up and just enjoy playing for the enjoyment of music. We’re playing some great material, by bands such as Rainbow, Deep Purple, and Led Zep to name a few - a bit of a departure from my previous punk/Oi. The theory is select songs that will push us as musicians, and especially given there are no vocals it really makes you concentrate whilst playing. It’s great to still be able to play as I didn’t want to either give up totally, or to join another gigging band as I need a break from all that. Plus I’ve decided to use my Stingray AND a compressor, so def new beginnings for a new decade. Which is nice.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 30

Ah Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow! A band most of my band mates have never heard of, but was my first proper gig as a 17 year old! 

Do let us when you boys are playing live in the vicinity of the Big Smoke - be great to get along to see you.

Always loved your bass tone on the clips you've shared, Lozz, you still going to be using your Paradriver?

Edited by Al Krow

I’m not sure to be honest, I used it with my Precision on Weds when we met up and it was all a bit too full-on, hence my decision to use Stingray/Compressor. Whether or not I’ll need said Para Driver who knows but I’ll still def take it to the next session and try it - maybe with less extreme settings though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well update to the updates, have now tried Precision, Stingray and Jazz, all with Para Driver & Compressor and I’ve found that the Jazz on its own straight into the rehearsal rooms Ampeg is what works best. Me using a Jazz Bass, funny old game this music lark, at long last I’ve managed to get a Jazz Bass to work well for me, only taken some 40 years.

• Like 6

Nice one Lozz.

Always great to try something new and exciting. 

And trying out new gear and set ups always freshens the drive to do it even more so. Every band I've been in I swap set ups - whether it be bass, amp, pedals or the lot, just helps it feel unique to that project.

All the best with it.

On 19/02/2020 at 23:29, Lozz196 said:

Well update to the updates, have now tried Precision, Stingray and Jazz, all with Para Driver & Compressor and I’ve found that the Jazz on its own straight into the rehearsal rooms Ampeg is what works best. Me using a Jazz Bass, funny old game this music lark, at long last I’ve managed to get a Jazz Bass to work well for me, only taken some 40 years.

You're a Precision guy to your core, you'll be back! I do think it's great to have tonal variety in our basses, just keeps things fresh. (BTW, I see your MXR lasted as long in your rig as mine did. Compressors eh? 😄

Just now, Al Krow said:

You're a Precision guy to your core, you'll be back! I do think it's great to have tonal variety in our basses, just keeps things fresh. (BTW, I see your MXR lasted as long in your rig as mine did. Compressors eh? 😄

Yeah I was so determined to use one to iron out peaks troughs but - and I suppose it’s not giving it a chance - I just prefer the sound without one. Yet when I heard someone else using one I loved it. 

9 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah I was so determined to use one to iron out peaks troughs but - and I suppose it’s not giving it a chance - I just prefer the sound without one. Yet when I heard someone else using one I loved it. 

I know, but would you have loved his sound anyway? 😉

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

I know, but would you have loved his sound anyway? 😉

Well sort of, it was a - big surprise - Precision into Markbass, a combination I’ve used over the years. The compressor just gave it a wonderful even-ness. 

And a further update, as we’re playing covers one of the songs, The Devils Bleeding Crown, by Volbeat is a real cracker and I’ve really got into the band, they’re absolutely amazing. If I’d not been fortunate enough to be asked to do this ‘band’ I’d never of heard of them. Only downside is that tickets for their Bristol gig are already sold out, bah!