Why become a member? ×

FS: 2003 Epiphone EB-3

neepheid

Well, I'm doing what I said I would never do. I'm selling my first bass. I don't want to get into an argument over it - my wife only has one rule with regard to my bass fixation/addiction - I have to play them all at some point. My tastes have evolved over time towards wider and/or chunkier necks and therefore this slim necked monster rarely gets used. I'm a hypocrite, yes, especially after advising others not to sell their first bass.

Anyway, to details! This is a 2003 Epiphone EB-3 made in Korea (for those who obsess about such details) with the following details:

Mahogany body, mahogany neck, 34" scale, set neck, 1 Sidewinder "mudbucker" in the neck, 1 mini bass humbucker at the bridge, independent vol/tone for each, 3 way switching. 3 point bridge with the bushings epoxied into the body to alleviate lift out under string tension which seems to afflict bridges of this kind.

The only bad points - a couple of lacquer cracks around the jack socket. About a week after I took this home I was playing sitting down. I stood up. My foot was on the lead. Oops. I tightened up the jack socket again and it hasn't moved since (5 years), so it looks like I got away with it. One ding (which I only found once I was taking the detailed photos, schniff). Apart from that, it's in excellent nick - no rash, slight swirling in the lacquer where the strap attaches at the back.

Anyway, I have a couple of photos of it but I'll add some better ones and a closeup of the jack socket area to show those cracks.

Regarding pricing, I'm looking for [s]£150[/s]£140 + postage.

Further edit: according to the Guitar Dater Project, this bass was actually made in November 2002, but that's near enough 2003 and that's when I bought it.

Edited by neepheid

More pics:

Lacquer cracks around the jack socket (heavily exaggerated by angle poise lamp)

Headstock:

Damnit, I found a ding. Bottom rear edge of the body (it's between my finger and thumb in the pic):

Exaggerated by angle poise lamp:

In the light of finding a ding (which I'm most upset about) the price is down to £140.

wow thats a very small ding to knock 6% of your price! most folk would just say it was 'mojo' or something.

anyway good luck, i bought something or another off of neepheid and hes a good guy to deal with.

EDIT: the guy sorted me with a set of tuners. ;) that was it. helpfull and aberdonian...

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='397415' date='Feb 1 2009, 11:51 PM']wow thats a very small ding to knock 6% of your price! most folk would just say it was 'mojo' or something.

anyway good luck, i bought something or another off of neepheid and hes a good guy to deal with.

EDIT: the guy sorted me with a set of tuners. ;) that was it. helpfull and aberdonian...[/quote]

Ach, I lopped a tenner off because I felt bad after saying earlier that there were no dings.

[quote name='neepheid' post='398527' date='Feb 3 2009, 12:43 AM']"Oops, I've just bought another bass" - bump![/quote]

that seems a better model than the EB 0

you were very honest about those dings and took some more shots...good work

and good luck

fellow scot..bo'ness originally

[quote name='mrcrow' post='399803' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:18 AM']that seems a better model than the EB 0

you were very honest about those dings and took some more shots...good work

and good luck

fellow scot..bo'ness originally[/quote]

Well, it's a different beast really, only the body is the same. The neck is longer than the Epi EB-0, the neck is set instead of bolt on, it has crown inlays instead of dots and an extra pickup. If all that means better then it is. I must admit that I think the crown inlays look rather nice ;)

Honesty is the best policy. Let's face it - bass necks make good improvised clubs :P

[quote name='Rowbee' post='400543' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:25 PM']Easy for someone else to say and I don't know how much keeping it would hurt you in the pocket but speaking as someone who parted company with their first bass eight years ago - I would advise against selling it.[/quote]

I hear you, but I have given this a lot of thought and over time and experimenting with several basses, I have come to the conclusion that I prefer wider necks. I won't play it any more and while my wife is a gem when it comes to my hobby she has only one rule - instruments must be played. Sentimentality is an expensive luxury when you're saving for the deposit for a first marital home.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='409545' date='Feb 14 2009, 04:51 PM']Damn - I've been after one of these for ages and that's a damn fine price. Unfortunately I am completely skint.

I'm trying to think if I have anything i could sell. I could be back to you. Anything you're after? I may very well have it.[/quote]

Sorry, but this can only be a sale, it's the out part of one in, one out and I have a Les Paul shaped hole in my finances this month ;)

If you find some funds, I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Matt