Jump to content
therealting

Six String Madness

Recommended Posts

Have you asked the community if someone nearby the seller could ship it to you ?

I've done it a few times and it has always worked.

That said the Harley Benton BZ 6000 NT you mentioned is a terrific bass for the money, except for the narrow strings spacing.

To me this ESP (I had both alongside boutique sixers) is even better with more standard strings spacing https://m.thomann.de/be/esp_ltd_b206.htm?o=8&search=1579089983

And there is also this Ibanez (typical Ibanez 16.5 mm strings spacing at the bridge) https://www.musicstore.com/en_BE/EUR/Ibanez-GSR-206-B-WNF-Walnut-Flat/art-BAS0007787-000

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. 

I do have a couple of options. The BTB on here was tempting, but as I said, no shipping so it's a no go. 

There's a rather tidy ESP LTD on a local buy sell group which looks tidy at around £270 

https://m.olx.bg/ad/bas-kitara-esp-ltd-b-206-sm-CID618-ID7EEHm.html

But for not much more, I can get a brand new Harley Benton, which, brand snobbery aside, looks ridiculously good for the money. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bz_6000_nt.htm?o=1&search=1579089734

I've been going backwards and forwards on these two for a week or so now, with the HB taking the lead because of the through neck, 18v pre amp and Thomanns outstanding warranty. 

I think in probably gonna have a punt when it's back in stock in a couple of weeks. The reviews are outstanding, with the only negative being the weight. But as I mostly play sitting down it shouldn't be that much of an issue. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This time last week I had two six strings in the for sale section, but now there's only one, so not only are people advertising them, people (presumable other people) are also buying them!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

The problem with 6 strings is, they're mostly at the boutique end of the market, and ridiculously expensive. There's very little second hand stuff at the budget end for people like me who  just want to dip their toe into the water and try out a 6er. 

Not my point of view.

Gimme your budget and I'm happy to compile and send over a list of second hand 6ers available on the German market. Most sellers are easy with shipping (in the UK sellers appear to be a little more prudent and often prefer handover). Beware of Brexit, you will have to pay customs.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Have you asked the community if someone nearby the seller could ship it to you ?

I've done it a few times and it has always worked.

That said the Harley Benton BZ 6000 NT you mentioned is a terrific bass for the money, except for the narrow strings spacing.

To me this ESP (I had both alongside boutique sixers) is even better with more standard strings spacing https://m.thomann.de/be/esp_ltd_b206.htm?o=8&search=1579089983

And there is also this Ibanez (typical Ibanez 16.5 mm strings spacing at the bridge) https://www.musicstore.com/en_BE/EUR/Ibanez-GSR-206-B-WNF-Walnut-Flat/art-BAS0007787-000

 

Thanks.

As I just posted above, I have a chance of an ESP locally at a good price. I'm torn between that and a new HB. I'm actually fine with, as prefer a narrower string spacing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, marcblum said:

Not my point of view.

Gimme your budget and I'm happy to compile and send over a list of second hand 6ers available on the German market. Most sellers are easy with shipping (in the UK sellers appear to be a little more prudent and often prefer handover). Beware of Brexit, you will have to pay customs.

I won't have to pay customs as I'm in the EU, not the UK. 😋

My budget is pretty much none existent, but £300 max, because that's the price I can get the Harley Benton which will take a lot of beating at the low end of the market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give the ESP a try if you can, that's worth all the money. And if you buy it second hand at a decent price, you'll always be able to sell it back without losing money.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Not entirely true.  The Hohner VI B Bass handles great, is neck through, can be good wood, it's well made and is reasonably small and light and rarely sells for more than £250.  I was about to put mine up wot cost me £195, but if there's a glut I'll wait.  

Thanks. They weren't even on my radar. I'll have a look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Thanks. They weren't even on my radar. I'll have a look. 

Pretty little thing - I've had 3.  they come up about once a 6 month.

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Thanks. They weren't even on my radar. I'll have a look. 

Here's a man (not me) playing one

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Pretty little thing - I've had 3.  they come up about once a 6 month.

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

That looks tidy! What's the scale length? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That looks tidy! What's the scale length? 

34 inches.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That looks tidy! What's the scale length? 

34". Weights an absurd 3.7 kilo. Dual truss rod so you can balance the stress across the wider fingerboard.  The only flaw they have is a design one in the bridge.  It's not quite woman enough to handle all those strings pulling so it can 'curl up' a fraction of a millimetre at the back.  But then it stops moving and stays like that  so no difference really.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hellzero said:

I had a few.

"But then again, too few to mention "  tra la  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Thanks Marc. 

The Peavey Grind is nice. I'll have to keep a closer eye on German eBay. 😋

Probably my favourite playing bass of all 40 + I've had was a Peavey Grind 5.  Not best made by any means.  But it just jumped into my arms and said " play me".  Tart. 

Edited by lownote12
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Thanks Marc. 

The Peavey Grind is nice. I'll have to keep a closer eye on German eBay. 😋

it is not classic ebay, where the platform takes some fees, but classified/small advertisements, hosted by ebay.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lownote12 said:

34". Weights an absurd 3.7 kilo. Dual truss rod so you can balance the stress across the wider fingerboard.  The only flaw they have is a design one in the bridge.  It's not quite woman enough to handle all those strings pulling so it can 'curl up' a fraction of a millimetre at the back.  But then it stops moving and stays like that  so no difference really.  

I’m sure that could be resolved by plugging the holes and redrilling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, therealting said:

I’m sure that could be resolved by plugging the holes and redrilling. 

Possibly, but there's quite a lot of holes already, so drilling more might further weaken rather than strengthen the plate.  They all do it - certainly all mine have - and TBH it doesn't seem to cause any issues of note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I've bitten the bullet and I'm going to look at a 6er tomorrow. It's the LTD B206. I've been tempted by it for a while, but the buyer has just dropped the price by another £45, so now it's up for an extremely reasonable price (about £220 at current exchange rate.) All the reviews I've read are extremely positive. Plus this one seems to be pretty unique. It's the spalted maple version, but appears to have an extra vaneer on top which I've never seen on any other LTD.  

So fingers crossed. Tomorrow might be a NBD. 😁

 

IMG_20200116_004239.png

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the spalted maple has been sanded down to the ash of the body. No big deal as the spalted maple is a thin veneer with no impact on the sound.

But you can get an extra discount using this argument. 😉

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I think that the spalted maple has been sanded down to the ash of the body. No big deal as the spalted maple is a thin veneer with no impact on the sound.

But you can get an extra discount using this argument. 😉

Ah I never thought about it that way around. 

That might make sense as there's no logo or writing on the headstock either so maybe the whole thing has had a rub down at some point? Still, I quite like the debadged look. 😉

I'm sure all will become clear upon closer inspection. 

 

IMG_20200116_012707.png

IMG_20200116_012724.png

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...