Why become a member? ×

Interesting Sterling on Ebay

TPJ

What's up with [b][url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Ernie-Ball-Musicman-Sterling-Bass_W0QQitemZ280140768170QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViwItem"]this Sterling[/url][/b] on Ebay? Looks rather interesting, if original, with just the one knob.

I can't get the link to work. Go to ebay, search worldwide for Sterling in bass. You should find a black EBMM Sterling with one knob and 1 pickup.

Edited by TPJ

That is a puzzler because it does look like a MM Sterling body (heel chamfer, contours, neck pocket) but I've never heard of a production bass with 1 control! It also doesn't look like the body's been capped to cover the control holes, as the rear of the body doesn't even have a cavity cover (just the battery cavity). There appears to be a bit of lacquer chipping on the rear of the body which you'd think would have been covered/fixed had it been modded/refinished.

Really don't know what to make of that!

[quote name='TPJ' post='42058' date='Aug 6 2007, 05:20 PM']I wonder what it sounds like if there is no active circuitry? You gotta love the simplicity of it, like the G&L SB2...nothing but volume and all passive.[/quote]

I thought all MM basses needed a battery? It does look like you might be able to fit a battery in the control compartment on the back!

There's a thread on the [url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/26069-sterling-no-eq-one-volume-knob.html"]EB[/url] forum about this.

[quote]I think that this is another one we made for an artist that they are selling even though they got it free I will post later who the weasel is.[/quote]

Later in the thread, apparently, it's a special made for the Nine Inch Nails in 2000!

Think I'll watch this one.

Pete.

[quote name='Gazm' post='42243' date='Aug 6 2007, 11:50 PM']There's a thread on the [url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/26069-sterling-no-eq-one-volume-knob.html"]EB[/url] forum about this.
Later in the thread, apparently, it's a special made for the Nine Inch Nails in 2000!

Think I'll watch this one.

Pete.[/quote]
I was thinking that it looked like Eddie Van Halen's music man guitars. 1 pup, 1 vol...balls to the walls...

• 3 weeks later...