Why become a member? ×

1988 P Bass

Huggy and the Bears

Hiya people,

Amongst my collection of basses I have a 1988 MIJ (Japanese) sunburst P bass with rosewood neck. It is absolutely amazing to play and whilst it obviously has a few scratches on it, it is in excellent condition. It was set up by Overwater about 2 years ago. The neck is fantastic. I fancy a Marcus Miller Jazz bass and wondered how you would value my p bass. I don't want to get rid but if it help the next purchase I might consider. I've played a few over the years and i'd class this a as a 'keeper' really because of how nice it is.

Discuss...

Hi mate....

I have an 85 for sale and I am asking £400 for mine, I admit I am including a case, new strings and a practice amp but minimum I would value this at would be £300 at most likely £350.

Your right, these basses are very good to play, fast neck and light weight body so you can play all night without back ache.

Highly recommended.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='392543' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:16 AM']£300 maybe?[/quote]

[quote name='foxthebiker' post='392549' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:20 AM']Hi mate....

I have an 85 for sale and I am asking £400 for mine, I admit I am including a case, new strings and a practice amp but minimum I would value this at would be £300 at most likely £350.

Your right, these basses are very good to play, fast neck and light weight body so you can play all night without back ache.

Highly recommended.[/quote]

Hi, thanks for this. I had a hunch that would be about its mark. Like I say, I'm not bothered about selling it because I really like it, I just don't play it any more! However, I would like a Marcus Miller Jazz!

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='393526' date='Jan 28 2009, 11:17 AM']I'll post some pics tonight hopefully. I'm pretty sure that it is a '62 re-issue.[/quote]

headstock and decal should look like this

and most have a rear of headstock strap peg too ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='393544' date='Jan 28 2009, 11:43 AM']headstock and decal should look like this

and most have a rear of headstock strap peg too ...[/quote]

Yes, it is identical and has the strap peg on the back. I did buy it as a '62 re issue and at the time had a Jazz 62 reissue which I traded for my Stingray. The P bass is proper!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='394289' date='Jan 29 2009, 02:07 AM']why DID those old fenders have strap pegs on the back of the headstocks? I never got that...[/quote]

I believe it was to help players who were making the transition from upright double basses to electric basses. They would attach the strap to the end pin and then onto the headstock instead of the pin on the top horn. The bass could then be played in an upright position. It obviously didn't catch on. Has anyone ever seen a picture of a player with an old Fender in an upright position?

[quote name='Hutton' post='394315' date='Jan 29 2009, 08:10 AM']Has anyone ever seen a picture of a player with an old Fender in an upright position?[/quote]

Bill Wyman came close ...

[url="http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.onlineseats.com/upload/concerts/522_con_bill-wyman1.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.onlineseats.com/bill-wyman-tickets/index.asp&usg=__tZpHARsDQiTw-I4raQniQjUjQQE=&h=198&w=200&sz=21&hl=en&start=55&tbnid=Qz9oNgeyDJohIM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522bill%2Bwyman%2522%26start%3D54%26as_st%3Dy%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN"]http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...l%3Den%26sa%3DN[/url]

[quote name='Hutton' post='394315' date='Jan 29 2009, 08:10 AM']I believe it was to help players who were making the transition from upright double basses to electric basses. They would attach the strap to the end pin and then onto the headstock instead of the pin on the top horn. The bass could then be played in an upright position. It obviously didn't catch on. Has anyone ever seen a picture of a player with an old Fender in an upright position?[/quote]
Funnily enough I tried that out the other day without knowing that's what it's meant for. I can tell you now it was thoroughly uncomfortable, and nothing like playing an upright.