Why become a member? ×

Playing in Church.

Sardonicus

47 minutes ago, Rich said:

...and with the GP12SMX+4x10 you will have one of the finest combos ever made. Not to mention heaviest :lol: 

Indeed, which is why "my" amp is the tiny Aguilar that is near as dammit to the TE sound wise, and I can hold it in one hand. These Trace combos I am putting together are definitely for staying in church, and good luck to anyone who wants to try to steal them!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SimonK said:

Small world - if you are meaning St Lukes!

You will probably have seen the little procession of bass amps recently. This is because I have a friend who is an electronics whizz so we have been buying old, broken, amps and fixing them up. While we sell most of them I put the ones I like in church for a bit until something better comes along. That's why there was an Ashdown Mag 300 for six months or so until I donated it to another church that needed a bass amp. Then we had a Trace GP7 with a 1x15, but after I found a Trace 4x10 missing its amp (for £50!) we switched the GP7 out of the smaller combo and into the one in the picture above. I'm waiting for a suitably priced GP11 or 12 to come along at which point I will probably give the GP7 back to its original speaker.

My personal current rig is an Aguilar 350 into a Trace 2103x and 1518 which I had in church over Christmas while I was getting the Trace combo sorted. However, I'm not convinced my stack sounds much better than the GP7 and 4x10!

Yes, St Lukes :D Indeed a small world!

Only been going along since Jan but my wife laughs at me every week checking out the Trace and Ashdown. I play in Above Bar but we all go in direct now, so just through my SansAmp Bass DI at the moment. But got the bug to try out some new DI's :)

My brother forced me a take an old Peavy T-Max bass amp head from him... its slightly overkill for what I need and insanely heavy compared to modern equilivants...will probably be on the look out for a new amp set up for some cover/pub band stuff at some stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoodShowSir said:

Yes, St Lukes :D Indeed a small world!

Only been going along since Jan but my wife laughs at me every week checking out the Trace and Ashdown. I play in Above Bar but we all go in direct now, so just through my SansAmp Bass DI at the moment. But got the bug to try out some new DI's :)

My brother forced me a take an old Peavy T-Max bass amp head from him... its slightly overkill for what I need and insanely heavy compared to modern equilivants...will probably be on the look out for a new amp set up for some cover/pub band stuff at some stage.

You are welcome to bring a bass along and give it a try if you want, although that might scare the rest of the slimming world group! You probably know my sister & brother in law - Phil & Tany - who are at Above Bar.

I've moved away from DI boxes and use class D heads as they almost all have decent DI's built in and give you the option of plugging in a cab if you ever need to. We are toying with the idea of going IEM at St Lukes - we do so already for the drummer - but have had a bit of a PA splurge recently so arguing for any more is a bit difficult at the moment (yes that is a new sub next to the bass amp)!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SimonK said:

You are welcome to bring a bass along and give it a try if you want, although that might scare the rest of the slimming world group!

They won't allow fat basslines anyway.

(I'll get my coat)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just got the song list for this week and am going with a stripped down pedalboard. The GEB-7 will hopefully provide some instant slap tone, and the Muff is there for aspirational purposes!

Untitled.jpg.ca3d2e1c44c2cb6e5eb5513a682540b5.jpg

Edited by SimonK

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Cool. What does 'Murder One' do? I'm assuming mute switch?

Yes it's a momentary mute that allows me to switch basses without pops, and also keep the tuner in line which I find particularly helpful with the fretless especially if the monitor mix is less than ideal (looking down to check that what I think is a G actually is a G!!).

Also have a Line6 G30 wireless mounted under the board next to the 1 spot pro power supply. Putting the wireless under the board does not seem to affect reception and frees up some space - albeit space isn't a problem this week!

Edited by SimonK

I have a nightmare song as the first one for Sunday - Rend Collective's "You are my vision".

This is a bastardised version of "Be thou my vision", and it's in 4/4. After 50+ years of singing this as a hymn in 3/4 it is doing my nut! Basically I'm OK provided I don't listen to the words - as soon as I do that I start playing waltz time...

We're also doing "How deep the fathers love", by Stuart Townend. That's in 5/4 except for a few bars in 3/4, and is trivial by comparison. 

Fortunately we have a fab drummer! 😄

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

I have a nightmare song as the first one for Sunday - Rend Collective's "You are my vision".

This is a bastardised version of "Be thou my vision", and it's in 4/4. After 50+ years of singing this as a hymn in 3/4 it is doing my nut! Basically I'm OK provided I don't listen to the words - as soon as I do that I start playing waltz time...

We're also doing "How deep the fathers love", by Stuart Townend. That's in 5/4 except for a few bars in 3/4, and is trivial by comparison. 

It's funny, we always do the 4/4 "Celtic" version of Be Thou My Vision and when someone tried to do it 3/4 the other week I got totally confused!

Our "set" list this week is:

City on a Hill
Here I Am to Worship
Living Hope
O Praise the Name
My Lighthouse

Probably fretless on the middle three while the first and last have slappage and maybe even Fuzz potential!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Richard R said:

Just listened to the Rend Collective's version - please tell me your band will be using an upside down bin and a banjo - that's an awesome version of the hymn!

On 20/02/2024 at 13:06, SimonK said:

You are welcome to bring a bass along and give it a try if you want, although that might scare the rest of the slimming world group! You probably know my sister & brother in law - Phil & Tany - who are at Above Bar.

I've moved away from DI boxes and use class D heads as they almost all have decent DI's built in and give you the option of plugging in a cab if you ever need to. We are toying with the idea of going IEM at St Lukes - we do so already for the drummer - but have had a bit of a PA splurge recently so arguing for any more is a bit difficult at the moment (yes that is a new sub next to the bass amp)!

I might do, have to admit its rather a large congregation and I am shocking with names! :D People still ask if we have just joined and been there about 5 years now...

Oh now I like that idea for the amp head.

21 hours ago, Richard R said:

Yeah we tried to do that a while back and it blew our young drummers mind :D Bless him. We all got there though with some practice.

Then followed it up with a Getty in an odd time signature too. I love it.

This has got me thinking,  could one write a song where the time signatures were different per verse, and reflected the theological subject of that verse?

1/1 -  one God

2/4 - a march to victory 

3/4 - the Trinity

(not 3/3) as I had typed

4/4 - the gospel writers

5/4- five gifts in Ephesians 

6/8 - six days to create the world

7/8 - the Sabath, or holiness

9/8 - apocalypse (with a nod to Genesis fans)

Of course even if one could do this, I don't necessarily think one should...

Edited by Richard R
  • Haha 1

On 22/02/2024 at 09:58, SimonK said:

Just got the song list for this week and am going with a stripped down pedalboard. The GEB-7 will hopefully provide some instant slap tone, and the Muff is there for aspirational purposes!

Untitled.jpg.ca3d2e1c44c2cb6e5eb5513a682540b5.jpg

Can you tell us more about the stubby little tuner, that is missing a footswitch?

I am guessing that it is always on, and has no mute function. 

7 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

3/3? Is that a time signature, or a typo?!

As for "How deep the fathers love", being in 5/4 (and a few bars in 3/4), I had no idea, beyond knowing that it was odd to play.

3/3 was a typo!

I quite often download the sheet music for songs as well as the chord charts so I can get the timing right. Usually it's just the chord charts aren't accurate, not that the time sig is odd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

This has got me thinking,  could one write a song where the time signatures were different per verse, and reflected the theological subject of that verse?

1/1 -  one God

2/4 - a march to victory 

3/4 - the Trinity

(not 3/3) as I had typed

4/4 - the gospel writers

And you could take it even further! :D  John 3.16 in 3/16 😅

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Richard R said:

1/1 -  one God

2/4 - a march to victory 

3/4 - the Trinity

(not 3/3) as I had typed

4/4 - the gospel writers

12/8 - the Disciples

• Like 1

I know someone who might just take up the challenge of writing something with a different key signature for each verse - I will see what he says!

1 hour ago, bass_dinger said:

Can you tell us more about the stubby little tuner, that is missing a footswitch?

I am guessing that it is always on, and has no mute function. 

It's a boss TU3s which is the same as the TU-3 but without the footswitch and yes, always on. The problem I had with the TU-3 was wanting the tuner to both be always on AND have a mute. Initially I had the Murder One alongside the bigger TU-3 to achieve this, but when I realised the TU3s was a thing I got it to save pedalboard space.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

1/1 -  one God

2/4 - a march to victory 

3/4 - the Trinity

(not 3/3) as I had typed

4/4 - the gospel writers

And of course everything has to be a 12 bar as there were 12 disciples 😁

• Like 1

So despite what I said above, after Friday night practice my board felt so empty I added everything back again... and then guess how many I actually used this morning - nothing apart from the tuner and compressor!

The bass corner:

IMG_20240225_110505694_HDR.thumb.jpg.36f873f4c479583421a8a6381b2fc570.jpg

On 22/02/2024 at 17:38, SimonK said:

Just listened to the Rend Collective's version - please tell me your band will be using an upside down bin and a banjo - that's an awesome version of the hymn!

Sadly we didn't do it quite like that.  We did the trad words, slightly modified to fit the 4/4 rhythm. Actually it went down very well, apart from 2 bars where I screwed up.  Ho hum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

Sadly we didn't do it quite like that.  We did the trad words, slightly modified to fit the 4/4 rhythm. Actually it went down very well, apart from 2 bars where I screwed up.  Ho hum.

I played a very similar version to that at my wedding in 2006. My bestman and I took off our jackets and played it for one of the hymns - the comment being there couldn't be a service where we were not playing!

I mentioned the Rend collective to our drummer today who nonchalantly name dropped that it was his wife's cousins band!

• Like 1