Why become a member? ×

Playing in Church.

Sardonicus

10 hours ago, AlexanderJersem said:

Congratulations on the opportunity to play in your church band! As a church bassist myself, I can definitely give you some pointers.

Just seen this is your first post on BC - Welcome to the forum! Lots of friendly folks here.

Do hop over to the Introductions thread and say Hi there as well, and post pics of any nice gear of course. B|

• Like 1

Wow good to know and find out there's a Worship bassist thread here in basschat. Hello! I'm Chad, a Filipino bass player from Every Nation London! Been here in the UK for 2 years and been pretty much serving in Church on Sundays since I got here. 

Here's a snap of our recent Worship encounter Night which is every month. Always a joy to serve for God in music Ministry. Cheers fellow brothers and sisters in Christ!

Lumii_20230218_124045020.thumb.jpg.b30d14dc27607ff8091d21b34d254ec6.jpg

Edited by Chadu25
  • Like 5

On 21/03/2023 at 06:29, Risk101 said:

Yes mate it was indeed - maybe I know you?? I’m the bald 60ish bloke in the videos!

Had a look at your videos. Very encouraging you seem to have a similar format at Skylark to Vineyard where I am now.

I subscribed so I can see more of your services and get more time in praise and the messages.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlexanderJersem said:

Congratulations on the opportunity to play in your church band! As a church bassist myself, I can definitely give you some pointers.

Thank you Alexander. That is most kind of you. Fire away I am all ears and attention. Where do you think I should start.

6 hours ago, Chadu25 said:

Wow good to know and find out there's a Worship bassist thread here in basschat. Hello! I'm Chad, a Filipino bass player from Every Nation London! Been here in the UK for 2 years and been pretty much serving in Church on Sundays since I got here. 

Here's a snap of our recent Worship encounter Night which is every month. Always a joy to serve for God in music Ministry. Cheers fellow brothers and sisters in Christ!

Lumii_20230218_124045020.thumb.jpg.b30d14dc27607ff8091d21b34d254ec6.jpg

Welcome. Pedal board close up please!

On 21/03/2023 at 13:04, Richard R said:

We have the same mixer - mainly because I saw yours 😄 
What we've done is to set the desk so that the post-fade mixes which go to L/R also feed individually to Group 7/8. What this means is the following: If you switch to Group 7/8 and set all the faders to 0db then Gp 7/8 will exactly track whatever changes you make to the main L/R mix. However, if you push the fader corresponding to (ooo, let's say the BASS!) up  to +10db on the Gp7/8 mix, then it's increased by 10db relative to whatever it's set to on the FOH. FOH is the same, but on YT it's now higher in the mix to compensate for the tiny speakers.  The FOH remains the master mix, but the recording/livestream/YT mix comes from the Gp 7/8 outputs.  We also include the congregation microphones on  Gp7/8, but not on L/R., and some compression and limiting so as not to overload the OBS input.  All credit to Jamie on our team who sorted this out and has put the time in to make it work. My original version was much simpler, and I intended to refine it and use the desk properly. Then someone on the other side of the world ate a dodgy bat and I got distracted. 

(Note for non Qu32 users. There are lots of mixes and groups on the desk. Four mono mixes Mx1-4, three stereo mixes MX 5/6, 7/8, & 9/10, plus four Groups that can either be groups or mixes. We have them all set as Mixes, and use them as foldback except for 7/8 as above.   It is a fabulous desk)

Thanks for this. Sadly, sometimes we do not want everything going out to the whole world so need to have completely different mixes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2023 at 21:57, Risk101 said:

Had a listen to this, and yeah, its nice - I guess you know there's no audio at the beginning and no bass for a while, but then the sound guy must have found the bass knob on the desk!  We (Skylark Church Chelmsford)also seem to struggle with consistency in our live-feed. Usually the vocals are far too forward/loud, bass/drums too low, so you get quite a harsh sound. This week my bass was there for the first two songs, then must have been muted !  Last week's mix was better. We need to organise some proper training and make sure the live-feed is being properly mixed as it goes out, cos it sounds fine in the auditorium.

Small point, but I dislike the video focussing too much on the musicians (we do the same) and I much prefer a "wide" view for the folks watching online, as its not about us it it !!

Looks like a Spector Euro5 you're playing there? My USA Fender Reggie Hamilton V seems to work best for live stuff, but I prefer playing my Spector NS5H2 !!

Keep up the good work !

Our efforts from this last Sunday. We had our top Worship leader on the desk to mix it this week and I feel he does a great job

Been watching some of your services over the last few days and you have some great stuff going on there. A big encouragement.

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Discovered this worship band called NP/Nights and this song called Diamonds has a really nice bassline and message is spot ot! Decided to learn it and practise my picking technique which I've been learning recently. What are you currently listening to or learning atm? Blessed weekend everyone!

You don't require
My good intention
Your eyes see deeper
Than what I hide behind
Not just my victory
You take my loses
You breathe the broken things to life
Once again

Here is my heart
All that I am
Take it and make it something beautiful
Here in your hands
Like only you can

Edited by Chadu25
  • Like 2

On 19/04/2023 at 13:22, Ralf1e said:

Our efforts from this last Sunday. We had our top Worship leader on the desk to mix it this week and I feel he does a great job

Been watching some of your services over the last few days and you have some great stuff going on there. A big encouragement.

Thanks for sharing this - all came across really well and nicely put together. Great team effort!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Chadu25 said:

Discovered this worship band called NP/Nights and this song called Diamonds has a really nice bassline and message is spot ot! Decided to learn it and practise my picking technique which I've been learning recently. What are you currently listening to or learning atm? Blessed weekend everyone!

You don't require
My good intention
Your eyes see deeper
Than what I hide behind
Not just my victory
You take my loses
You breathe the broken things to life
Once again

Here is my heart
All that I am
Here in your hands
Like only you can

Nice bassline as you say - I’ve always shied away from the pick personally cos it’s much harder to control and to mute strings whilst playing and I don’t enjoy the percussive tone as much as fingerstyle - but they all have a place I suppose!  Is the fret thingy at the headstock to help muting?

Great playing!

• Like 1

How many years on BC and I didn’t even know this thread existed😂

Am looking forward to guesting at my old church tomorrow in the city centre, should be  pretty cool. Awesome group of musicians and a massive p/a system🥰

They have chosen Firm foundation as one of the songs, sounds like it has some pretty cool fills and slides to have some fun with!

Have any of you guys used that song?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Risk101 said:

Nice bassline as you say - I’ve always shied away from the pick personally cos it’s much harder to control and to mute strings whilst playing and I don’t enjoy the percussive tone as much as fingerstyle - but they all have a place I suppose!  Is the fret thingy at the headstock to help muting?

Great playing!

I'm a fingerstyle kind of guy too tbh but have slowly appreciated the picking technique and its use in different context. The percussive and driving tone really works on parts especially on build up bridges. Yeah, the fret mute helps alot as I often hit open notes when I pick aggressively

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chadu25 said:

Discovered this worship band called NP/Nights and this song called Diamonds 

Having listened to this, I now find I have "Everybody wants to rule the world" by Tears for Fears stuck in my head.

This happens a lot, I listen to songs and for some reason they send me off somewhere completely different. No idea why most of the time.:scratch_one-s_head:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, IanA said:

How many years on BC and I didn’t even know this thread existed😂

Am looking forward to guesting at my old church tomorrow in the city centre, should be  pretty cool. Awesome group of musicians and a massive p/a system🥰

They have chosen Firm foundation as one of the songs, sounds like it has some pretty cool fills and slides to have some fun with!

Have any of you guys used that song?

Yes! Really like that song and it gives lots of flexibility on the bass to add some interesting fills! Chorus “1B” has a nice added Cm (if you’re in Bb!). Timing is everything with this one!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Risk101 said:

I’ll be playing the organ (badly!) at the village Anglican today. @IanA Will your service be live-streamed/recorded? I’d like to see that.

I think it is on YouTube… will have a look for the link…

• Thanks 1

We are now only going out on zoom. However, I think a PTZ camera we could mount under the balcony would tidy things up. I am more than aware that I could easily spend 4 figures and up on one, but the reality is we are doing absolutely fine with phone or iPod cameras on tripods so do not need the greatest doobrie in the world. Any real world suggestions? Spending under 300 would be great. Ta.