Why become a member? ×

EMG woes

Owen

I have a pair of EMG DC45 pick ups, bought 2nd hand from the US back when we had some purchasing power. I am having a nightmare getting them to function.

The bridge one works fine. When bridge and neck are on they work fine. When neck is on it's own it is the smallest nastiest sound ever, it sounds like bleed from another channel on a desk.

I am open to the fact that it is knackered, but just wondered if anyone could throw some light on the situation before I spend more money getting my local guitar emporia to not get them working, again.

TIA as usual in these circumstances.

Owen

Edited by owen

[quote name='King Tut' post='390351' date='Jan 24 2009, 01:17 PM']I've already been in touch with owen about this, but for the benefit of others, I've had an EMG 40J go tits up like this - very weak signal.

It was - in fact - knackered![/quote]

He has. The man is a star. You are probably right ;) However, I don't understand why it functions fine when both are on. However, I am easily confused!

I'll state from the off that I am no 'techie' BUT I have hads a bit of 1st hand experience with gear, so my suggestions are based on those assertions. ;)

Have you categorically eliminated the fact that the wiring and/or the pots are fully functional and everything is soldered where it should be?

I don't know the EMG range that well but a way to check this might be to insert and wire the pups in the other way around (I assume that they are the same size soapbars), i.e. the bridge in the neck position and vice versa. Alternatively is it possible to wire just one pup in at a time and try it in isolation?

Have you categorically eliminated the fact that the wiring and/or the pots are fully functional and everything is soldered where it should be?

I have not been able to ascertain whether all the kit is fully functional, because for me basses are like cars. When they work I use them. When they do not I pay someone to make them work. The guy who has been working on it has confirmed that the bridge pick-up is fine and dandy, but that the neck one is dodgy - he is guessing at some sort of damage to the earth. However he has had it for a LONG time and is fed up of looking at it so I am now turning to the oracles of all things tech ;)

I don't know the EMG range that well but a way to check this might be to insert and wire the pups in the other way around

If I did this myself, the only guaranteed info I could come up with is that soldering irons hurt when you touch them with your fingers.

I cuould just buy a new neck pick up. I could get Wizard to make me a pair of something lovely. I am just too tight to spend if I can mend.

[quote name='owen' post='390397' date='Jan 24 2009, 02:25 PM']Have you categorically eliminated the fact that the wiring and/or the pots are fully functional and everything is soldered where it should be?

I have not been able to ascertain whether all the kit is fully functional, because for me basses are like cars. When they work I use them. When they do not I pay someone to make them work. The guy who has been working on it has confirmed that the bridge pick-up is fine and dandy, but that the neck one is dodgy - he is guessing at some sort of damage to the earth. However he has had it for a LONG time and is fed up of looking at it so I am now turning to the oracles of all things tech ;)

I don't know the EMG range that well but a way to check this might be to insert and wire the pups in the other way around

If I did this myself, the only guaranteed info I could come up with is that soldering irons hurt when you touch them with your fingers.

I cuould just buy a new neck pick up. I could get Wizard to make me a pair of something lovely. I am just too tight to spend if I can mend.[/quote]

I was the EMG warranty support tech for several years back in the eighties. Internal faults are not unknown but very rare.

The likelihood is that there is a problem with the installation, not the pickup.

If you are up for a trip to Bridgend or Bristol I could take a look for you.

Eltham

[quote name='owen' post='391294' date='Jan 25 2009, 10:15 PM']D'OH!

EMG 45 TW pick ups they are![/quote]

you might find this useful: [url="http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/45TW1.pdf"]http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/45TW1.pdf[/url] ;)

hwyl
G