Why become a member? ×

How many hours a week do you dedicate to playing and practice ?

Prosebass

I practice between 2-5 hrs a day, less when I'm gigging lots as a certain amount of the chops work is taken care of by the gig. I have been practising more recently than ever before and I can really feel the difference. The main reason is that my wife has started work after being at home with the kids for 10 years so I have a lot more time to myself and I spend about 75% of that time with a bass on my lap, including the time I'm on here, I often have headphones on and practise between posts and reading.

Hee Haw for me.

For some reason I seem to be getting better as well ;)

I think if I wanted to learn a new technique then I'd practice. I'm lucky in that I can get away with playing once along to any songs I need to learn for a practice on the day and be able to play them at the practice.

Most of the songs I do with the wedding band I haven't heard and most of the time I don't even know who recorded them.

Well I'm impressed with those of you saying you do over 2 hours a day, like McGram Mark I used to practice an hour or two first thing when I lived in Brighton, but more recently I do about an hour a day, or two to three on the weekends. My main practice at the moment is developing my phrasing and articualtion but I do mix it up with transcription and some scale practice and reading. It's also the case that I've played for 24 years now and my playing has become a lot more solid. I played a gig last night and felt in total control of what I was doing, driving the groove and having a blast.

But with all you mega-practicers out there making it clear that we have very good players here, it makes me want to hear some of your playing, please post some clips guys...!

Cheers

Mike

I try to get between one and two hours every day, probably averages out to 12/15 hours a week. That's only noodling and/or playing along with tracks on my mp3 player (that's all I do).

Seems to be that I'll make sudden, significant progress, then plateau for a while when nothing seems to be improving, then all of a sudden there'll be another step up, then plateau again.... Having said that, I always try to play something better today than I did yesterday, or learn a little nuance today which I didn't know/wasn't aware of yesterday.*

Every day's a school day!

* Doesn't always work that way, but hey, I try!

;)

I'm studying 1/2 a music degree at the moment, so i spend about 12-16 hours a week rehearsing (mostly jazz and funk, with a bit of classical), but due to a heavy schedule at the moment, most of my out of rehearsal time is taken up with work for the proper half of my degree, and having a girlfriend. I practice an hour a week on average i'd guess, but that will soon change.

I usually dedicate at least one hour a day to practice, but like most of you, it starts off noodling.
We have 2 hours band practice on Monday for one band & 2 hours on Thurs for the other, but I tend to practice the songs or techniques in my own time.
Guitarist on the other hand, I think the only time he practices the songs is at band practice as he plays something different every bloody time!

Just started decorating the house at the weekend there so practice might suffer.

When I practice I try & make it structured:

10 minutes warm up on any one of: scales, hand dexterity exercises, intonation work, note production.
20 minutes on the technique du jour (and this includes things like the construction of walking lines, practice pieces to aid ear training, right hand technique, reading etc)
20 minutes reading new excerpts / learning new material for the band
20 minutes polishing music I can already read / playing
10 minutes noodling to warm down

Times vary eratically depending on what's on that week. I'd say I average an hour a day on week days, (apart from Thursday, when it's 2 hours with the orchestra) and 3 hour rehearsal on Sunday with the band (apart from gigs, where it's three hours on a Saturday instead).

This would appear to be average?