Why become a member? ×

Willcox Guitars Saber Bass with Optical Pickups System - review

Alberto Rigoni

22 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I used to have a second-generation Lightwave FL bass. When I played it it didn't sound much like the one in the review.

Ditto. My old Sabre sounded incredibly clean and - quite frankly - sterile, not at all like that growl he gets in the video. 

At the time I was very much a novice bass player, and I hated the fact that the Sabre was so clear that every little mistake, every piece of finger noise or fluffed fretting, was totally audible.

I'm a slightly better player now, and I'd be fascinated to try the same bass again.

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Ditto. My old Sabre sounded incredibly clean and - quite frankly - sterile, not at all like that growl he gets in the video. 

At the time I was very much a novice bass player, and I hated the fact that the Sabre was so clear that every little mistake, every piece of finger noise or fluffed fretting, was totally audible.

I'm a slightly better player now, and I'd be fascinated to try the same bass again.

I think, than more than most basses it really does depend on the strings you put on these, so it's a pity that the version I had made it so hard to set up each time I changed strings. I liked the second set I tried (TI Flats) and stuck with them.

However, I would have kept mine if it had been a 5-stringer.

I may well have one again in the future if I find myself in a band playing music that requires fretless bass.