Why become a member? ×

1982 Fender JV Precision Bass with large logo - SOLD

stevie

This is my 1982 JV Precision Bass. As far as I know, this is the first large Fender logo version ever offered on Basschat. Because there are probably no more than a couple of dozen in this finish in the UK, you are not likely to see another one here for quite some time. Originally purchased from Dougie’s Music Store (the store label is still on the headstock) right after the Made in Japan range was launched in 1982.

It’s A JV02*** number plate and the neck reads 5.13.82, which places it in the first six weeks of production. Condition is good, with a few scratches on the bottom of the bass. The neck has mellowed to a beautiful golden colour and the scratchplate has turned creamy white.

Sound and playability are what you would expect. Powerful, growly and vintage. Absolutely no dead spots. Excellent definition. There’s no rust and the tuners stay in tune. Fret wear is miniscule. You’re very welcome to come and try the bass here through a Trace Elliot rig.

Priced to sell at £650. I’d prefer collection, but if you would like to send in a carrier, I can supply the hard case in the photos for £40 and pack it up really well. I’m happy to sell to Europe. Times being what they are, I’m open to part exchange for anything that I can resell easily and quickly, but would obviously prefer a straight sale.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='Hiperi0n' post='384184' date='Jan 18 2009, 05:34 PM']interested in a squier vintage modified jazz fretless plus cash?[/quote]

Yes, I think that's the kind of thing I'd be looking for as a part-ex. I'm not sure about the logistics of swapping between here and Italy though.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='384716' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:51 AM']I sold one of these too, and offered it on here, so definately not the first! Sold it on ebay though in the end, was slightly earlier then this, from the first month of production. Mine was the same finish too.[/quote]

Thanks for the correction. They're still pretty rare though.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='385661' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:00 AM']Fantastic bass!

Just a small questione! Are the control knobs original - all the JV's I ever owned had flat-top knobs...[/quote]

Hi N, Yes, the knobs are original. There was a discussion on this on the forum recently.

I'd always thought the ones with flat knobs were fakes, but if you look here: [url="http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/gallery4.htm"]http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/gallery4.htm[/url], you'll see that the two-tone Precision like mine has rounded knobs, while the three-tone sunburst has flat knobs. I suppose it could be a reflection of the fact that the components on the earlier ones weren't entirely consistent.

[quote name='stevie' post='385752' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:12 AM']Hi N, Yes, the knobs are original. There was a discussion on this on the forum recently.

I'd always thought the ones with flat knobs were fakes, but if you look here: [url="http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/gallery4.htm"]http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/gallery4.htm[/url], you'll see that the two-tone Precision like mine has rounded knobs, while the three-tone sunburst has flat knobs. I suppose it could be a reflection of the fact that the components on the earlier ones weren't entirely consistent.[/quote]

Ah! Interesting! I've had 3 three-tone P's ('62s) and currently own a lovely fiesta red '57 (also had a fiesta red Jazz and two s/burst Jazzes) - perhaps thats the reason I asked as these all had/have flat knobs! Have a bump mate!

Nick

• 4 months later...

I got very very confused when I saw this at the top of the for sale section, didn't look at who the seller was and got very confused as the description sounded very familiar!

It sounds and plays AMAZING by the way!

:)