Why become a member? ×

The Peel, Kingston

Happy Jack

I know some of you have gigged at The Peel, but has anyone rehearsed there?

A guy I know is trying to put a band together and he's suggesting we should start with an evening at The Peel. Their evening session runs from 6:00 - 11:30 (ulp!) which is a helluva long time to be in a studio if it's a complete pile of poo.

Anyone able to comment on the quality of the bass rig and PA supplied, the state of the rooms, the extent to which the toilets make you gag, etc?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='380737' date='Jan 14 2009, 09:56 PM']I know some of you have gigged at The Peel, but has anyone rehearsed there?

A guy I know is trying to put a band together and he's suggesting we should start with an evening at The Peel. Their evening session runs from 6:00 - 11:30 (ulp!) which is a helluva long time to be in a studio if it's a complete pile of poo.

Anyone able to comment on the quality of the bass rig and PA supplied, the state of the rooms, the extent to which the toilets make you gag, etc?[/quote]

Hmmm. basement type setup, low ceilings, felt claustraphobic but, rhearsals is rehearsals!
Maybe Tweeters at Leatherhead may suit better.

Jack- we used to use the Peel rehearsal rooms.

They're pretty good actually. A bit dark but clean and the kit is reasonable too (I think they supplied Trace Combos for the bass players). More than useable and a decent sound.

The PA was fine too- nothing special but more than adequate. The only thing was, in one of the rooms the PA speakers were angled (and fixed) in on the drum kit. This caused our drummer a bit of discomfort but was loads of fun for the rest of us.

The other one that might be worth looking at is Airplay in Spelthorne (just at the start of the M3). They don't supply backline (they may do upon request) but the rooms are a good size and it fels very spacious.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

In one of my first few weeks in halls at uni, I went into the main reception to ask the security guard if he knew where The Peel was.

"Ah yeah, strip club"
"No, no - I'm going there for a jam session... see, bass on my shoulder?" *handed him the flyer*
"Yeah, The Robert Peel - strip club"

There was a really attractive girl waiting in line behind me. It was so embarrassing.

Anyway, I went down to the jam, told a couple of friends who went with me what this crazy security guard had said. Had a great time at the jam and on leaving discovered there was another door round the back - leading to the strip club part of the place!

[quote name='The Funk' post='381153' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:27 PM']I feel bad for you. Rehearsing there must cost a bomb though: first you've got to pay for reherasals and then any money left over goes to the strippers, right?[/quote]

It's an unwritten rule. Still, I could think of worse ways to spend it.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Very helpful.

I used to be a regular at Airplay in Spelthorne, but both my bands found more convenient rehearsal space much closer to home.

We're only looking at The Peel because the guitarist is in Wimbledon, I'm in Chiswick, and the drummer is half way between us - in Kingston.

[quote name='The Funk' post='381145' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:23 PM']Had a great time at the jam and on leaving discovered there was another door round the back - leading to the strip club part of the place![/quote]

Had a great moment there recently. Was watching a band and went up to get a pint in the 'quiet room/pool room'. The door behind the bar (through to the back room) then opened as some staff went through and lo and behold I had a front on view straight through to a 'spreading' stripper....
I needed a drink after that! ;)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='380979' date='Jan 15 2009, 08:54 AM']They're pretty good actually. A bit dark but clean and the kit is reasonable too (I think they supplied Trace Combos for the bass players). More than useable and a decent sound.

The PA was fine too- nothing special but more than adequate.[/quote]

This is exactly how I'd describe my rehersal experience there a couple of years back. Was definitely a nice Trace combo I used back then.

Actually I'm glad this thrad came up, I'd forgotten all about the "dungeon" at the Peel. We were gonna start going down Scream in Croydon again (a bit of a dive), but on second thoughts perhaps the Peel would be better. It's got nothing to do with the beer and strippers next door, honest! ;)